The MasterCard FoundationÂ has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The vision of the Program is to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Sub-Saharan Africa.
To be eligible to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, candidatesÂ must meet the stated criteria:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantagedÂ and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed toÂ giving back to their own communitiesÂ once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracingÂ ethical leadershipÂ to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment toÂ community serviceÂ through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of aÂ Sub-Saharan AfricanÂ country.
- Wanting to study atÂ undergraduate or postgraduate levelÂ (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in theÂ fieldsÂ of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first beÂ admitted to the University of Cape TownÂ to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Mastersâ€™ degree.
- Preference will be given toÂ â€˜first-generationâ€™Â students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
- Applicants must have received a firm offer to study at UCT
- Applicants must come from an economically disadvantaged background
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential and must have acted in a leadership capacity
- Applicants must meet the set academic criteria
. The scholarships will cover for the following:
â€¢ Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
â€¢ An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
â€¢ Full tuition fees and international student fees
â€¢ Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and Advocacy Services at UCT
â€¢ Meals through the student housing system at UCT
â€¢ Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
â€¢ A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardeesâ€™ studies
â€¢ A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme
â€¢ Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
â€¢ Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
â€¢ An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
How to Apply:Â
In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.Â Candidates are encouraged to make contact with the relevant department that the academic application will be submitted to.
For More Information:
Application Deadline:30th September, 2020