The International Centre of Insect Physiology and EcologyÂ (icipe), Kenya, in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD1) In-Country/In-Region PhD Scholarships Programme and African university partners, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for PhD scholarships in the African Regional Postgraduate Programme in Insect Sciences (ARPPIS). The primary objective of the ARPPIS PhD Programme is to prepare young researchers from Africa to compete in internationally competitive research and development environments within national, regional and international research programmes.
AtÂ icipeÂ ARPPIS scholars are provided with excellent research facilities in an interdisciplinary environment within a structured, three-year PhD programme that includes research, training, developing research partnerships, writing scientific papers and grant proposals, and attending scientific meetings and international conferences. Scholars conduct their innovative research atÂ icipeâ€™s laboratories and field sites located in different agro-ecological zones.
- Six ARPPIS-DAAD PhD scholarships are available to nationals of sub-Saharan countries for the following projects:Â LIST OF PROJECTS
- Successful candidates will register with an ARPPIS partner university in Africa after starting the PhD programme atÂ icipe.
- The PhD programme will commence from September 2020.
- The scholarships cover all costs of the PhD programme, including travel, living expenses, medical insurance, university fees and all research and training costs.
ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships Eligibility.
- A citizen of a country in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree with a minimum pass of second-class, upper division.
- Masterâ€™s degree, with above average results, taken with both coursework and research in the field of natural sciences or other field relevant to the PhD project (seeÂ LIST OF PROJECTS).
- Masterâ€™s degree must have been completed less than six years ago at the time of application.
- Additional specific skills requirements may be required depending on the PhD project(s) selected by the candidate. For information on applicant requirements for each project seeÂ LIST OF PROJECTS.
- Good working knowledge of English (written & spoken).
- Clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from less privileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Qualified nationals of French- and Portuguese-speaking countries in Africa are also encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for ARPPIS-DAAD PhD Scholarships.
Additionally, once you submit your application toÂ icipe, please send a brief email notification to DAAD stating that you have applied toÂ icipeÂ with the subject â€œYour Surname_First name_icipeâ€ toÂ firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send your application to DAAD at this time.