The Centre for Advanced Study Sofia (CAS Sofia) announces a Call for Applications for its 2022/2023 In-Residence Advanced Academia Fellowships for fundamental research in the fields of the humanities and the social sciences.
CAS Sofia is an independent Institute with international and multidisciplinary profile. Located in Sofia, Bulgaria, it promotes high-level scholarship in the social sciences and the humanities. In addition to supporting focus-group research, CAS Sofia invites outstanding scholars to pursue their individual research projects during in-residence periods of up to five months.
The invited Fellows participate in the intellectual life and the scholarly community of the Centre (Bulgarian and foreign fellows) while working on projects of their own choice. Fellows receive adequate material and intellectual support and can profit from the Centre’s wide international networks, international seminar- and guest-lecturer programme. CAS Sofia assists Fellows in all practical matters concerning travel, residence and research in Sofia.
- Be non-Bulgarian citizens;
- Have completed a PhD in the fields of the humanities and the social sciences;
- Have international research experience (participation in projects and refereed conferences) and publications in peer-reviewed academic editions are strong advantages.
As an international academic institution CAS conducts most of its work in English, which is also the language of the fellow seminars. Therefore, a good command of English is required.
CAS Sofia provides in-residence fellowships of two- to five- month duration to post-doctoral non-Bulgarian researchers. Junior as well as Senior scholars are invited to apply.
- The selected Fellows are entitled to:
- A monthly stipend of 800 Euro* (liable to 10% income tax) to cover living expenses related to the stay in Sofia.
- Accommodation in Sofia, comprising living quarters and working space. The Fellows will also have free access to the CAS library and electronic resources/databases. Travel allowance (up to 400 Euro);
- Research expenses (up to 500 Euro).
Duration and Condition
Candidates may apply for two periods:
- 1 October 2022 – 28 February 2023 (Winter semester)
- 1 March 2023 – 31 July 2023 (Summer semester)
N.B. The final invitation for fellowship depends on the ranking of the application and the preferred period. Availability for both periods is an advantage for the applicant. Please, indicate in the application form whether you prefer one or either period.
For More Information:
Application Deadline: February 28, 2023