The Legatum Center at MIT presents the Foundry Fellowship, a first-of-its-kind leadership program for Africa-based founders who have scaled innovation-driven companies and find themselves at an inflection point in their entrepreneurial journey. The Foundry is a place where Fellows reflect on their entrepreneurial journey, rethink their future leadership roles as entrepreneurs, investors, and thought leaders, and renew their commitment to building entrepreneurship and innovation-led ecosystems.
Launching in 2021, the Foundry Fellowship will bring together leaders who have demonstrated a commitment to bringing about change through entrepreneurship and are ready to build the leadership skills to carry them into the next phase of their entrepreneurial journey.
The Fellowship is open to entrepreneurs from Africa who have founded and scaled for-profit innovation-driven companies on the African continent, with a preference for entrepreneurs operating in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, and Uganda.
The inaugural cohort will include 15 entrepreneurs from Africa. Fellows will be identified through a selective application and nomination process.
Candidates should have a demonstrated history of impact, commitment, and concrete connection to the region and have already achieved considerable success with their ventures.
- Have founded and scaled a for-profit innovation-driven company* on the African continent, with a preference for founders of companies with operations in Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, and Uganda;
- Applicants who have founded and scaled a company outside of Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, or Uganda should have a demonstrated interest in supporting economic growth in at least one of the aforementioned seven countries;
- Are at an inflection point in their entrepreneurial journey and are considering the next phase;
- Are prepared to dedicate time and space for their own self-discovery and leadership development to achieve the next milestone;
- Are able to participate in regular online sessions and cohort activities, from September 2021 through March 2022 (note: additional time is required for readings and exercises); and,
- Are able to commit to a three-week in-person session in April 2022.
- Founders from the same company may apply, but each founder must complete a unique application. Each founder will be considered independent of a co-founder.
- MIT alumni and current degree candidates are welcome to apply.
*Innovation-driven companies are based on a technology or process innovation that allows them to scale across regional and global markets.
The Foundry Fellowship is a fully-funded six-month program. Fellows will complete an interactive curriculum designed to:
- Increase their leadership acumen;
- Explore pathways to impact as entrepreneurs, policymakers, thought leaders, and investors;
- Exchange practical knowledge with MIT faculty and students; and,
- Engage in multi-stakeholder networking opportunities in the MIT ecosystem.
The learning journey will culminate in a three-week in-person immersive program in which Fellows will have the opportunity to engage with MIT faculty, investors, thought leaders, and policy influencers. This immersive experience will give Fellows insight into how to design cutting-edge programs, implement practices, and create policies that are transferable to their markets. Fellows will also have the opportunity to showcase their ventures and lessons in innovation with MIT faculty, staff, and students.
Note: The Legatum Center’s goal is to offer an in-person immersive experience in line with the regulations of the U.S. federal government, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Legatum Center will support individuals who are offered a Fellowship with the visa application process by providing an invitation letter and reimbursing visa fees.
- Nominations will be accepted from May 3 – May 20, 2021
- Application opens for all nominees and qualified applicants: May 3, 2021
- Application deadline: June 10, 2021 at 11:59 pm EDT
- Final selections will be announced in September 2021
Application Deadline: June 10, 2021, at 11:59 PM EDT.
For More Information: