The Heinrich Böll Foundation awards some scholarships to international students who gained their university entrance qualification from a school outside of Germany who wish to study a Masters or PhD Degree in Germany. The scholarship program allots scholarships to international students, both EU and non-EU, who are not educated in Germany.
International Master students who earned their university entrance qualification outside Germany:
• You may apply before commencing your Master’s programme or at any time up to the end of the first semester of the Master’s programme.
• Proof of first professional qualification must be provided
International Doctoral students who earned the university entrance qualification outside Germany:
• The applicant must have been accepted as a doctoral student by a state or state-recognised university in Germany. Proof of admission, as a rule in Germany, must be included with the application.
• By the application date, preliminary work must have been completed and a valid timetable for completion must be submitted.
• PhD subjects related to focal points of the Foundation’s activities will be given priority.
- 1 March (annual)
- 1 September (annual)
Host Institution(s): State or state-recognized Universities in Germany
Level/Field(s) of study: The scholarships are towards Masters Degree or PhD Degree in all subjects offered at state or state-recognised universities in Germany
For EU students, Master’s Degree courses at state or state-recognised universities in Germany, Switzerland, and other EU member states are possible.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified.
Non-EU students: €850 per month plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are in certain cases possible in Germany.
EU students: varies, max. €649 plus €300 book money per month; tuition fees not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for the regular period of study, may be extended by one semester.
Non-EU students: €1,200 per month plus €100 mobility allowance per month, plus various individual allowances; tuition fees are not possible.
EU students: €1350 per month basic scholarship plus €100 per month research costs allowance; tuition fees are not possible in Germany but possible to a limited extent in other countries.
The scholarship is awarded for two years as a rule, may be extended twice at most by half a year.
For details of application requirements and procedures, please consult information sheet A 1-1 (“scholarship application for undergraduate and graduate students”, PDF) or A 2-1 (“scholarship application for doctoral studies”).