Open call for applications for a 10-month virtual Food Systems Leadership Programme starting in Kenya in May 2021
Are YOU an aspiring leader working in aquaculture, horticulture or agri-finance?
Are you passionate about championing change for fairer, healthier, regenerative food systems?
Do YOU have the potential to inspire others for a better future?
Then the African Food Fellowship Systems Leadership Programme is for you!
Food systems in Africa face many complex and interconnected challenges. These are not just challenges for government, farmers, civil society or agri-businesses alone. They require a collective effort to make the tough choices needed for real change.
We need Africans active in the food system who see the bigger picture and can act in an ever-changing context. Is this YOU?
Wageningen University & Research and Wasafiri, with support from the IKEA Foundation, have come together to create a unique systems leadership programme for Africa’s emerging and current food systems leaders.
The African Food Fellowship is here to empower you to help transform Africa’s food systems to be regenerative and inclusive!
As a successful participant you will be part of an inaugural 30-fellow cohort and will have an opportunity to:
- Gain world class expert knowledge by engaging with leading faculty and mentors.
- Develop your personal leadership. Learn what it takes to become a food systems leader.
- Build your network. Become part of a new community of food systems leaders across the continent.
Eligibility criteria are the following. You are:
1. a resident of Kenya;
2. 45 years of age or younger; and
3. willing and able to commit an average of 4 hours/week.
African Food Fellowship Systems Leadership Programme
Key programme features
The leadership programme takes 10 months. The first 4 months will be a training course, followed by 6 months of group coaching on a food systems initiative of your own choice. You will meet regularly online, take part in interactive sessions and work on your individual tasks as food systems leaders. Over the course, you will cover four modules. Each of these cover fundamental skills you will need as a food systems leader. The modules are as follows:
What is systems leadership, the food system, the network, the ‘how’ of system change
UNDERSTANDING FOOD SYSTEM LEADERSHIP
The food system in my impact area, me and my leadership, working as a systems leader
PRACTISING FOOD SYSTEM LEADERSHIP
Develop strategy, design and plan action for food systems transformation
REFLECTION AND FELLOWSHIP COMMUNITY
Upon completion of the programme, you will receive a certificate and six further months of coaching to put your recently acquired food systems leadership skills into practice
How will we learn?
- The programme will be mainly online and highly interactive, but there are in-country, informal meet-ups too
- You will gain practical insights from experts and other participants to help you in your own leadership role
- You will have regular meetings with business leaders, mentors, food-systems experts, soft-skill trainers and dialogue facilitators
- You will work with others in your sector to learn how you can be effective system leaders together
- It’s a partnership: we will expect you to commit to do the work needed to make it a success for you
- We will do all we can to help you enjoy and complete the systems leadership programme
- Upon successful completion of the 4-month training programme you will receive a certificate from Wageningen University & Research. Graduates of the full 10 months will be invited to become Fellows in the African Food Fellowship
Fees & support
This inaugural leadership programme has a full fee waiver. Where requested and merited, selected participants will be offered
support to facilitate full participation in virtual sessions.
The African Food Fellowship Systems Leadership Programme governance includes an Inspiration Committee, Selection Committee, Faculty and Fellowship Team.
For general inquiries, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: April 16 2021
For More Information: