The Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) is a private research and academic institute located in the Moscow Region by Skolkovo village. Founded in 2011 with MITâ€™s collaboration, Skoltech will be responsible for preparing a new generation of researchers and entrepreneurs, expanding the range of scientific knowledge, and stimulating technological innovation with the goal of solving important technological research problems that Russia and the rest of the world may face in the future.
Skoltech PhD Programs.
They currently have the following programs:
- Mathematics and Mechanics
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Life Sciences
- Computational and Data Science and Engineering
- Engineering Systems
- Petroleum Engineering
- For Doctoral programs: An appropriate masterâ€™s or specialist degree or its equivalent, from an accredited university.
- Applications are open to domestic and international students.
- To be eligible for the Ph.D. program, by the time of enrollment at Skoltech, applicants should hold a M.Sc. degree or equivalent (specialist degree) from a recognized institution of higher education and in a relevant area of study.
- All applicants must demonstrate proficiency in English, the language of instruction at Skoltech. A minimum score ofÂ 80 on the TOEFL iBT, 450 on the TOEFL ITPÂ orÂ 6 on the IELTSÂ is required. No exceptions are made for this policy and only TOEFL and IELTS scores are accepted.
- Submission of a General GRE score is not required for the Skoltech application. However, a high score may enhance your application.
As they receive more applications each year from excellent candidates than they have places available, meeting the minimum admissions requirement does not necessarily guarantee admission.
Successful applicants have generally received previous education and training in fields relevant to our programs, including:
- Computer science, computer engineering, computational mathematics, mathematics & applied mathematics, informatics, etc.
- Physics, applied physics
- Chemistry, chemical engineering
- Biology, molecular biology, bio-engineering, biochemistry, biophysics, bioinformatics, systems biology
- Materials science and engineering
- Aerospace science and engineering, astrophysics
- Mechanical engineering
- Petroleum and gas engineering, geophysics, geology, geological engineering
Students whose primary education is in the humanities, business, or social sciences must have significant training in a field related to one of Skoltechâ€™s programs.
- Enjoy courses and supervision underÂ world-renownedÂ scientists and engineers.
- Find significant freedom inÂ choosing courses;Â design anÂ individual study planÂ that allows you to obtain a modern education with a broad interdisciplinary component. Check out the possibility to choose between fundamental and applied profiles within the program.
- ExperienceÂ an open dynamic international environmentÂ that brings together hundreds of scientists, engineers and entrepreneursÂ with serious ambitions. Students and professors fromÂ more than 25 countriesÂ study and teach at Skoltech.Â English is our language of instruction and official business.
- DiscoverÂ opportunities to visit world-leading universities and international conferences.Â More than 1/3 of our students have spent or will spend a semester at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and other top universities.
- Explore theÂ integration of research, education and innovation.Â Discover a culture of supporting students startups.
Stipends and other benefits:
- Significant stipends are available, which depend on studentsâ€™ academic standing, starting atÂ 40,000 RUR per month at MSc programs.
- Free medical insurance.
- Variety of academic mobility programs.
The applicants who have successfully passed the admission process and are enrolled at Skoltech do not pay for their studies. The cost is fully covered by the university; for students, education is free of charge.
How to Apply
- The application includes your CV, two letters of recommendation, and a motivation letter.
- Submission ofÂ eitherÂ TOEFL or IELTS test results is required by â€œSelection Weekend.â€
- Applicants who did not get a chance to take any of these official tests will be able to take the TOEFL ITPÂ during â€œSelection Weekendâ€ at Skoltech.
- No application fee is required.
Skoltech offers anÂ online applicationâ€‹Â to make the process quick and simple for potential students. Before beginning the application, carefully read the application instructions, requirements, and deadlines for your chosen academic program.