The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) is a joint initiative of the University of Johannesburg (UJ), South Africa, and Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Its purpose is to promote advanced research in the humanities and natural sciences, beyond the regular teaching and research activities at institutions of higher learning. JIAS is the first fully fledged institute of advanced learning in Gauteng, South Africaâ€™s political and economic heartland.
JIAS Writing Fellows enjoy a quiet space for work, reflection and academic community-building amidst the Melville Koppies of Johannesburg. The Sixth Writing Semester, which will run from February 1 to May 31, 2021.
- Fellowships are open to any field of expertise. Previous fellows have included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers and journalists.
- Note that if successful, they urge that you keep your scholarly commitments outside of JIAS to a minimum.
Each Writing Fellow will receive:
- A monthly stipend.
- Daily breakfast and lunch;
- Accommodation in our private residential suites at JIAS;
- Access to the facilities of the nearby University of Johannesburg; and
How to Apply
To apply, submit a two-page proposal, a comprehensive CV, and three letters of reference before July 15, 2020. Please note incomplete applications will not be considered.