The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) offers the Youth Innovators Competition and Design Bootcamp on COVID-19 in 2020.
The Bootcamp will bring together a selected number of students from across the continent and their partners through the innovation competition. The bootcamp will be organized through a major online platform, for promoting innovation and instilling entrepreneurial competencies and imparting technical skills that may not be taught at colleges and universities in Africa (e.g. coding mobile devices, rapid prototyping with 3D Printing etc). Students will work in teams to address common challenges, attend classes and access mentors and coaches.
A number of Africa youths have demonstrated their potential to contribute and offer innovative solutions to meet some of the shortages of medical supplies needed to fight COVID-19. Harnessing their creativity, entrepreneurial aspirations and risk-taking attitudes can help build national innovation ecosystems that can sustain and drive Africa’s development into the future.
- The bootcamp is open to all youths up to the age of 30 that may or may not be in colleges and universities across Africa, including those in innovation hubs or in employment are welcome.
- Participants might be supported by partners abroad as well as professionals in research centres, innovation hubs, universities and institutes as well as government and business leaders.
- They will be welcome to serve as talent scouts, mentors, coaches and guest lecturers.
Worth of Award
- At the end of the two weeks, excellence awards will be offered to teams that display extraordinary innovation and entrepreneurial talent in their project concept, design and implementation in four categories: i) novelty of the concept, b) potential economic impact, c) potential social impact and iv) potential health impact.
- Besides the opportunities to meet business and government leaders, the top 20 innovations selected in each of the 2 categories will be profiled on the ECA and partners’ websites; and the top 10 in each category will be given the opportunity to convince and get the support of judges, governments, investors and potential partners and collaborators.
How to Apply
To apply please fill the online form provided
Deadlines: Applications will be accepted until June 5, 2020.