With over 150 years of history, Standard Bank has firmly rooted itself in the African soil, growing, thriving and adapting at pace along with the continent itself. Together, Standard Bank and Africa have transcended humble beginnings to achieve international prominence amongst our global peers. The Standard Bank Africa, Derek Cooper Scholarship marks the culmination of over thirty years of direction, vision and action attributed to Derek Cooper, a true South African business leader and former Chairman of the Standard Bank Group.
It is becoming clearer that Africa has a critical role to play in shaping the 21st Century. The continent is increasingly interacting with the rest of the world on its own terms. Through this commitment, Standard Bank aims to champion those African leaders who will actively build a future for Africa, led by Africans.
These leaders will be asked to exercise global influence through visionary leadership. Nine students will be selected to complete their post-graduate studies at the prestigious institutions of Cambridge, Oxford and The London School of Economics and Political Science in the United Kingdom. Each specialising in their unique areas of expertise. These individuals will represent the best and brightest Africa has to offer, introducing thoughtful challenge amongst their peers as they grow in courage, fair-mindedness and integrity.Â Their stay and studies will be fully funded and backed by Standard Bank as part of our commitment to enable and empower them to become effective leaders in Africa.
Standard Bank Derek Cooper Scholarship Benefits.
The scholarships will provide the tuition and college fee in full, and a maintenance grant (i.e. living costs incurred in the college such as rental of college accommodation, food taken in college, etc.) commensurate to the national minimum doctoral stipend of the UK Research Councils.
Standard Bank Derek Cooper Scholarship Eligibility.
- Applicants will ordinarily be resident inÂ one ofÂ Standard Bankâ€™s African presence countries, with a preference forÂ residents of South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Angola, Mozambique and South Sudan.
- The scholarships are for offer holders on the following LSE masterâ€™s programmes:
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change
- MSc Finance (full-time)
- MSc Finance and Private Equity
- MSc Risk and Finance
- MSc Real Estate Economics and Finance
- MSc Law and Accounting
- MSc Economics and Management
- MSc Management Information Systems and Digital Innovation
- MSc Management and Strategy
- MSc Financial Mathematics
- MSc Economics and Philosophy
Method of Application
To apply for LSE funding for programmes beginning in September 2020, you must:
- Submit your application for the programmeÂ (See how to apply for graduate study at LSE)
- Submit your Graduate Financial Support Application Form via theÂ Graduate application trackerÂ including completing Section G: Personal Statement.
- AndÂ receive an offer of a place (conditional or unconditional)
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â April 27, 2020.