The University of Waikato is pleased to offer the Summer Research Scholarships that intended to support and enhances research provides the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of research at UoW.
The program is open to undergraduate, final-year honours and first-year master’s degree students who are enrolled in taught papers at a New Zealand or Australian university and considering further study at Waikato. The program offered in various disciplines and supports a ten-week period of full-time research from November to February.
Course Level: Undergraduate, Postgraduate (Taught)
Access Mode: Online
Number of Awards: Varies
Nationality: New Zealand or Australian
The award can be taken in New Zealand
- Eligible Countries: Applications are accepted from all New Zealand or Australian students
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Any subject
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible for consideration applicants must be enrolled at a New Zealand or Australian University in one of the following qualifications: a) undergraduate degree, b) final year honours degree, c) first-year master’s degree taught papers only
- Students will also have the ability to gain credits for the research undertaken (if appropriate)
- Applicants concurrently enrolled in taught papers and a thesis (593 or 594) will still be eligible to apply providing they are still in their first year of enrolment in a master degree
- Preference will be given to candidates whose aim is to continue with study at the University of Waikato after the completion of the program.
How to Apply: To apply, applicants can submit an online application through the MyWaikato portal. If you are not a current UoW student, you must submit an application to enrol at the University of Waikato in order to have access to apply for this program.
Students may apply for up to three projects, in preference order. Available Projects 2019/2020 are – Division of Arts Law Psychology and Social Sciences, Division of Education, Faculty of Maori and Indigenous Studies, Division of Health Engineering Computing and Science, Waikato Management School, and External Projects
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must include with their application: a) a curriculum vitae (no longer than four A4 pages in length); b) a brief one page summary of relevant background, experience, and interest in the research area(s) outlined in the projects; c) The names of two referees who can provide academic reference on request; and d) where previous tertiary study has not been completed at the University of Waikato then applicants will also need to provide copies of academic transcripts.
- Admission Requirements: GPA required. GPA will be calculated on the candidate’s most recent 240 points of study, i.e. the equivalent of two years’ full-time enrolment.
- Language Requirement: Must have excellency in English language (writing, speaking, and learning)
- The Summer Research Program provides students with a $6,000 award with opportunities to experience the challenges and rewards of research.
- All recipients are automatically eligible for the annual Summer Research Award for Best Research Poster (one at $1,000) who submits a final research poster, or one of two Summer Research Award Runner-up Research Poster Awards (two at $500 each).
Application Deadline: 15 September 2019