The International Society for Third Sector Research (ISTR) and the Africa Centre for Philanthropy and Social Investment at Wits Business School will co-host a PhD Seminar for approximately 20 PhD studentsÂ at all stages of their doctoral research in topics related to the Third Sector, i.e., civil society, the nonprofit sub-sector, philanthropy, social economy, social investment, venture philanthropy, corporate social investment and volunteerism, among others.
Course Level:Â PhD, Conference
Eligible Countries:Â African countries
To be taken at (country):Â South Africa
- Students must be currently enrolled in a university and must be able to attend the entire PhD Seminar and Philanthropy Conference
- . Past participants of ISTR Seminars are welcome to apply to participate.
Number of Awards:Â Approximately 20 doctoral students will be accepted.
Value of Award:Â ISTR/WITS will cover the cost of shared room accommodation for the PhD Seminar and the Conference on Philanthropy and meals during both events. Limited travel support is available to supplement support the studentâ€™s university can provide. ISTR will grant accepted students 2019 membership in ISTRÂ with all of the associated benefits. Accepted students must attend the Conference on Philanthropy (attendance is free of charge)
Duration of Programme:Â Conference on Philanthropy begins the next morning on May 16, 2017 and concludes the afternoon of May 17, 2019. If traveling from out of town, participants are expected to arrive the evening of May 13, 2019 and depart the evening of May 17, 2019 or the next morning as flights require.
Method of Application:Â To apply, please complete the online form here before the December 15 deadline:
All applications must include the following information:
- â€“ Full name and gender
- â€“ Contact details (including e-mail and phone number)
- â€“ Disciplinary background
- â€“ Institutional affiliation and name(s) of the supervisor(s)
- â€“ Working title of PhD project and formal start/end dates
- â€“ Indication of the stage of your research
- â€“ Abstract of PhD research (min. 500 â€“ max. 800 words). The abstract must include: research questions, theoretical framework, methods, and results if already applicable
- â€“ Feedback needed on your PhD research
- â€“ Letter from your faculty advisor/department head providing
- information about the quality of the candidate,
- specific information about how participation in the PhD seminar would benefit your doctoral studies, and
- a statement of financial support the university is able to provide in support of your participation in the PhD Seminar.
- â€“ A brief description (100-150 words) of your motivation to participate in the ISTR PhD Seminar
- â€“ Research Keywords
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 15th December 2018