Given the findings of the GMMP 2020 report which highlights amongst many things the invisibility of women as news reporters, and the underrepresentation of gender and related stories in mainstream media, Code for Africa has partnered with WACC to launch a WanaData fellowship that provides funding for journalists to research and amplify the findings of the report.
This fellowship will be announced during the prestigious AIJC 2021 conference and is targeted at engaging women in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, South Africa for the research. The fellows will use additional data from these countries to explore the potentials of women representation in the media including key challenges, barriers and opportunities. Stories produced will further showcase the implications of possible action points that can address these gaps.
WanaData is a pan-African network of women data scientists, journalists, and technologists working to change the digital landscape by producing and promoting data-driven projects while applying digital technologies in storytelling. Founded in 2017 as an initiative of Code for Africa, a pan-African impact accelerator, the network is now in nine cities on the continent, with 90 women using journalism, technology, and data science for social good.
The primary aim of WanaData is to turbo boost networks of African women by deepening their expertise in tech, data science, and journalism and connecting them with experts and thought leaders from the continent and beyond. It also amplifies women’s voices and provides opportunities to fast-track their careers.
Applicants must meet the following criteria
- You must be an established journalist or digital storyteller (such as a blogger or social media content creator) with a minimum one year track-record in journalism and reportage.
- You must be based in any of these countries Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria, South Africa.
- You must be fluent in English.
- You must be affiliated with a media partner, as such you must publish/broadcast your work in mainstream media.
- No of Fellowships: Up 6 fellows will be awarded
- Award Amount: The fellowship will award a total of ~6,000 USD
- Fellowship support: Each fellow would receive bi-monthly training and mentorship sessions by CfA’s data analysts and trainers
- Publishing and dissemination of findings: Fellows will publish their findings with local media partners across Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Nigeria and South Africa.
Application Deadline: November 12th 2021
For More Information: