The University of the Witwatersrand’s School of Public Health invites suitably qualified candidates to
apply for a full-time funded Master Degree Programme in the field of Implementation Science. The
scholarship is provided by TDR, the UNICEF/UNDP/World Bank/WHO Special Programme for Research
and Training in Tropical Diseases – hosted at the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland.
The goal of the scheme is to enhance graduate training capacity in implementation research and boost
the number of researchers in low- and middle-income countries. The focus is on implementation
research on infectious diseases of poverty, including the neglected tropical diseases, malaria,
tuberculosis, HIV/TB co-infection and COVID-19. The training is focused on courses relevant to a career
in implementation science. Implementation science is a growing field that supports the identification
of health system bottlenecks and approaches to address them, and is particularly useful in low- and
middle-income countries where many health interventions do not reach those who need them the
DEGREE PROGRAMME ON OFFER
• MSc Epidemiology in the field of Implementation Science (18 months full-time).
• Be resident in and a national of a low- or middle-income country1 in the WHO African Region
• Be under the age of 35.
• Be interested in developing a career in implementation research on infectious diseases of poverty
– Be proficient in English.
• Meet the Programme’s requirements.
The scheme will provide full scholarships for Masters in the 2022 academic year and covers the
• Return economy airfare between the candidate’s home country and Johannesburg, South Africa
• Tuition fees
• Basic medical and accident insurance
• Monthly stipend to cover living expenses, including accommodation
• Support for research project expenses
METHOD OF APPLICATION
The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately
- Application to the University of the Witwatersrand
Apply by completing a University of the Witwatersrand postgraduate application form online at:
http://www.wits.ac.za/postgraduate/applications/ Application fee is R200 for both
international and local applications.
- The application deadline is 31 July 2021.
Applicants should also note to:
i) apply for accommodation at: https://www.wits.ac.za/accommodation/applications/
Accommodation application deadline is 30 October 2021.
ii) Apply to the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) at:
http://www.saqa.org.za/index.php if with foreign certificates, to have certificates
evaluated. The SAQA certificate or evidence of application MUST be uploaded as part of
the required application documents.
Application Deadline: July 31st 2021
For More Information: