The World Habitat Awards recognise and highlight innovative, outstanding and sometimes revolutionary housing ideas, projects and programmes from across the world. More than 250 outstanding World Habitat Awards projects have been recognised over the years, demonstrating substantial, lasting improvements in living conditions.
Entries to the Awards are encouraged from housing projects and programmes that:
- demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing challenges;
- can be transferred or adapted in other countries across the world;
- are already being implemented or are completed i.e. not at design stage or in the very early stages of development; and
- view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring a range of other benefits. We particularly encourage entries from projects and programmes that are addressing the climate emergency. Other benefits of interest to us include: income generation; social inclusion; community and individual empowerment; health benefits; capacity building and or education.
All entries are subject to a thorough assessment process and around 10 projects are evaluated by an independent advisory group of housing experts.
Evaluation visits are made to four projects before recommendations are presented to a panel of external judges, including the Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT).
The Organizer want to hear about projects from around the world that:
- focus on affordable and adequate housing;
- have taken action to address the climate emergency;
- are in progress or have been completed in the last ten years;
- are taking steps to promote diversity, equality and inclusion; and
- have been designed and/ or delivered in close collaboration
Application Deadline: March 15th 2021