The Africa Region of the World Bank Group (WBG)Â announces the opening of the application for theÂ 2021 WBG-Africa Fellowship Program for PhD. candidates and recent Ph.D. graduatesÂ who areÂ Sub-Saharan Africa nationals. Women are encouraged to apply
TheÂ World Bank Group (WBG) Africa Fellowship Program targets young,Â talented African nationals who are completing,Â orÂ haveÂ recently completed their Ph.D. in an area relevant to the World Bankâ€™s work. The fellowship program has been very successful since its inception, building a strong pipeline of young African talent interested in a career in development, international institutions, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
- Ph.D. candidates and recent graduates (within three years of Ph.D. completion) from Sub-Saharan Africa, are eligible to apply for the World Bank Group-Africa Fellowship Program
- World Bank Group-Africa Fellows are eligible to spend six months getting hands-on experience at World Bank Group headquarters in Washington D.C. or country offices
- Fellows will work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank Group goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity.
The program offers chosen fellows a six-month assignment at World Bank Group (WBG) offices in Washington D.C. or in country offices to gain hands-on experience in the operations of the WBG. This includes knowledge generation and dissemination, design of global and country policies, and the building of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries.
- Selected candidates will then be notified and, upon acceptance, will be hired as short-term consultants for six months starting January 2021. FellowsÂ are eligible toÂ receive consultant fees, round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C. or a WBG country office from their universityÂ or institution, and workerâ€™s compensation insurance.
While benefitting from research and innovation in multiple sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bankâ€™s goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity.Â Through the fellowship, we aim to build the capacity of the next generation of African change makers in development research, policymaking and promote the goals of reducing poverty in the region.
The WBG AfricaÂ Fellows have proven to be valuable resources for their hiring units. They contribute to the work program of their respective units and to the World Bankâ€™s mission. In the process,Â they:
- Gain a better understanding of the World Bank Groupâ€™s mission and operations
- Access quality data for their research work
- Interact with seasoned experts in the field of development
- Contribute to the World Bank Groupâ€™s mission
MAINÂ ELIGIBILITYÂ CRITERIA
- Be a recent Ph.D. graduate (withinÂ threeÂ years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the Ph.D. program.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be under the age of 32Â by the closing of the application period
The selection process consistsÂ ofÂ two phases:
In the first phase, aÂ short-list of candidates will be made available for hire for the different units of the WBG depending on applicantsâ€™ specialization. Applicants will be notified ofÂ about the status of their application or whether they have been shortlisted or not.
In the second phase, the final list ofÂ fellowsÂ will be selected in consultation with the various units of the WBG. When the selection is complete, all shortlisted candidates will be informed of their selection status.
For More Information:
Application Deadline: August 23rd 2020