There are millions of subjects you can read about on Wikipedia. But of all those subjects, the ones relating to Africa have the least coverage. This is due to a number of reasons, but some are linked to the fact that many people do not know that they can have their knowledge and cultures reflected on Wikipedia by donating their images, videos and audio to Wikipedia.
The richness, diversity and beauty of Africa deserves to be visually celebrated on Wikipedia. YOU can help to do this. Everyone is welcome to participate.
Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition Introduction.
Wiki Loves Africa is an annual contest where anyone across Africa can contribute media that relates to that yearâ€™s theme to Wikimedia Commons for use on Wikipedia and other project websites of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wiki Loves Africa encourages participants to contribute media (photographs, video and audio) that illustrate the specific theme for that year. Each year the theme changes. Each yearâ€™s theme is chosen by the community to be a universal, visually-rich and culturally-specific topics (for example, markets, rites of passage, festivals, public art, cuisine, natural history, urbanity, daily life, notable persons, etc).
The theme for the 2020 contest isâ€¦Â Africa on the Move or Transport.
The 2020 competition started on 15th February 2020 and closes on 31st of March 2020.
Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition Prizes.
There are several prizes up for grabs, both nationally and internationally. For national prizes, please see whatÂ events are being held locally in your country.
At the international level, there are 3 main prizes for Wiki Loves Africa, and as with last year, there will be two additional prize categories for photos and media.
The international prizes are:
- 1st prize: US$1000
- 2nd prize: US$800
- 3rd prize: US$500
Additional categories are:
- Culturally specific or traditional representations of transport or structures that facilitate transportationÂ : US$500
- Prize for best quality video (audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account): $500
Each winner will also receive a pack of goodies (proposed: a hat â€œI edit Wikipedia from Africaâ€, a branded battery, stickers)
Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition Entries.
PicturesÂ ! audiosÂ ! videosÂ !
The themeÂ Africa on the Move! encourages the submission of visual representations ofÂ movement,Â migrationÂ or transportation, whether local or regional, by path, road, sea, or air, self-propelled, or by animal, natural or mechanical means. Submissions could also capture the historical or contemporary structures that have been created to facilitate movement or the transportation of people, goods, or animals.
Wiki Loves Africa Photo Competition Rules.
There are a few rules to respect for the images to be eligible.
- Rule 1: All photos must be taken by the person submitting them. They can be uploaded by you or uploaded during a registered mass upload session. Your image must have your name or nom de plume on the uploaded file.
- Rule 2: Entries will only be accepted if uploaded between theÂ 15th February to 31st March 2020. You can enter media that was taken at any time, even historical photographs (as long as you own the copyright on these photographs or they are in the public domain), but they must be uploaded during those dates.
- Rule 3: Images with watermarks or embedded signatures will not be eligible. All entries submitted to the contest will automatically be licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 (CC-BY-SA 4.0) (or those in the public domain). Read more about theÂ cc-by-sa license here.
- Rule 4: All eligible pictures will be categorised underÂ Images from Wiki Loves Africa 2020, this will be automatically assigned during the upload process. (Feel free to add other relevant categories and descriptions to make the images more usable on the projects.)
- Rule 5: Participants must registered on WIkimedia Commons and be contactable. Please enable e-mail on Wikimedia Commons so we can contact you should your image be chosen for a prize.
- Rule 6: To be considered for the video prize, the file must beÂ uploaded in the video formatÂ (.ogg, .ogv, or .webm) that is required for Wikimedia Commons. Please note audio and visual quality and storytelling will be taken into account for your file to be eligible for a prize.
Notes on video
Other files, such as audio and video, are welcome. For videos, please submit files in the following formats:
Method of Application
Everyone is welcome to participate. Upload your picture through the link below:
Scholarship Application Deadline: 31st March, 2020.