In 2019, in response to the new funding of Higher Education by the South African government, the Canon Collins Thekgo Bursary has been restructured from providing registration fee for first year students to providing bursaries that alleviate undergraduate studentsâ€™ debt. Students who have completed their undergraduate/Honours studies, but their degree certificates/academic records have been withheld due to outstanding debt owed to the university, can apply for debt relief of up to R20,000 in the following disciplines:
- Languages and Literature
- Media Studies
- Gender Studies
- Arts (Digital Arts, Drama/Performance Studies, Visual Arts/Fine Arts, History of Art, Film and Television Studies, Music)
In 2020 these bursaries will be awarded to completed undergraduate students who have already missed at least one graduation and/or wereÂ not able to receive the degreeÂ certificate due to outstanding debt of up to R20,000 with any public university in South Africa.
- Be a national of, or have refugee status in any African country;
- Have completed undergraduate studies (three year or four year Bachelor or Honours degree) in a degree programme within Thekgoâ€™s focus disciplines in the Humanities, listed above, at any public university in South Africa;
- Have missed one graduation already and/or was not able to receive the degree due to outstanding debt not exceeding R20,000 owed to the university;
- Demonstrate academic merit;
- Demonstrate financial need.
Canon Collins Thekgo Debt Relief Scholarship Selection Criteria.
Eligible candidates are selected for debt relief on the basis of the following criteria:
- Completed application including all required documents
- Their academic merit and career promise
- Adequate demonstration of financial need.
Method of Application:
This bursary is now open for applications.Â Download theÂ application form, save a copy on your computer, and fill it in. You must return the form to the Canon Collins office by email toÂ firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ along with your supporting documents. Please readÂ theÂ guidelines for applyingÂ for more information on eligibility and selection criteria before applying.
The deadline for applications was 31st March 2020Â at 3pm GMT. Late applications will not be considered.