The FutureHack is a national technology hackathon event, in which computer programmers and others involved in software development, including graphic designers, interface designers, project managers, domain experts (and others) collaborate intensively on software projects.
This year, the focus is to find clearly defined ideas and prototypes on Cyber Security and Digital Inclusion. Participants are allowed to express creativity and are encouraged to develop unique solutions with an emphasis on using the latest technology. FutureHack is an initiative of the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).
Each participant will be attached to a mentor in a hub or university to enable them to conclude the 48-hour hackathon by allowing the students an opportunity to present their work. Three champion teams will be identified at each region.
- Participation from all backgrounds and genders are welcome.
- You can come from any part of Nigeria to participate.
- There is no age restriction to participate at the hackathon.
- Your team must be solving problem in Cybersecurity, Digital Inclusion.
- Each team must give an executive summary about their cybersecurity, Digital Inclusion idea upon registration.
- All team members should be present at the event and come with their own personal computers.
FutureHack organisers have the right at their sole discretion to determine whether an entrant is eligible for the contest.
NITDA FutureHack Hackathon Competition Requirements.
- Pre-shortlisted participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation arrangements and for covering all associated costs and expenses in connection with their participation in the Hackathon. However, certain food and non-alcoholic drinks are expected to be made available during the Hackathon.
- Each Participant teams must bring or obtain whatever hardware and/or software they believe they need to participate (e.g. programming application, laptops, phones, etc), including any necessary chargers. There will be electrical outlets available on a first come, first serve basis.
NITDA FutureHack Hackathon Competition Prizes.
Six overall best startups will receive:
- Incubation for 6 months
- Cash prize
- Startup with ready working solution before October will be showcased at eNigeria 2020.
NITDA FutureHack Hackathon Competition Judging criteria.
Teams will be judged based on these criteria. Judges will weigh the criteria equally. During judging, participants should try to describe what they did for each criterion in their project.
- Technology: How technically impressive was the hack? Was the technical problem the team tackled difficult? Did it use a particularly clever technique, or did it use many different components? Did the technology involved make you go “Wow”? Did teams successfully leveraging new technologies as a material component of their solution should be given preference. (I.e. machine learning, blockchain). For example, someone who uses a machine learning or blockchain solution for a non-critical component of their product will receive a lower ranking.
- Design: Did the team put thought into the user experience? How well designed is the interface? For a website, this might be about how beautiful the CSS or graphics are. For a hardware project, it might be more about how good the human-computer interaction is (e.g. is it easy to use or does it use a cool interface?).
- Completion: Does the hack work? Did the team achieve everything they wanted?
- Learning: Did the team stretch themselves? Did they try to learn something new?
- How closely does the solution align with one of the four challenge sectors?
- Uniqueness of the solution: How novel is the solution’s approach?
- Real-world application: Do you think the application develop by the participant will has the potential solve the problem in identified sectors?
Method of Application:
- Cybersecurity: Opportunities and challenges in combating cybercrime.
- Starts on the 2nd – 3rd March 2020
- Application deadline: 23rd Feb 2020
- Centre for Information and Telecommunication Engineering, University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt Rivers State.
- Not a participant? attend demo day
- Digital Inclusion: literacy and responsibility towards a better life.
- Starts on the 9th – 10th March 2020
- Application date deadline: 28th Feb 2020
- PTDF Auditorium, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi, Bauchi State.
- Not a participant? attend demo day