You are cordially invited to participate in the 11th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition, due to be held from 15 to 19 July 2019, in Palais des Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland.
Course Level:Â Contest
Eligible Countries:Â All
To be taken at (country):Â Palais des Nations, in Geneva, Switzerland
- The Competition is open to both undergraduate and masterâ€™s degree law students.
- A team of two students from each university â€“ preferably one woman and one man â€“ is invited to participate.
- In the preliminary rounds the students submit heads of argument for a hypothetical case, which are assessed by a panel of experts.
- The best 10 teams from each UN region are then invited to participate in the pre-final and final rounds of the Competition in Geneva. Here, teams have to argue the two sides of the hypothetical case, the Applicant and the Respondent, before a â€˜benchâ€™ of human rights experts.
- The two best teams proceed to the final round, which is presided over by judges from international courts and tribunals. The Competition will be held in English and French.
Value of Contest:Â
- No registration fees are charged
- However, participants must cover all their own costs (air tickets, accommodation, meals and medical insurance).
- As participants have to cover all their costs, they are encouraged to begin fundraising as soon as possible. Donors may include embassies, the UN and EU, bar associations and law firms, corporate donors and their own universities.
Duration of Contest:Â 15 to 19 July 2019
Method of Application:Â ApplyÂ here
It is important to go through the Contest Guidelines and Application requirements before applying.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 15th April 2019
- Release of hypothetical case to be argued:10 December 2018
- Request for clarification of facts:Â Submit by 12 February 2019
- Response to requests for clarification of facts:Â Publicised by 25 February 2019
- Submission of memorials:Â Submit by 25 April 2019
- Announcement of the 50 qualifying teams:Â 13 April 2019
- Confirmation of travel details:Â 1 July 2019