Are you currently studying for a Bachelor or Master degree in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics? Are youÂ looking for a practical training period during the European summer (June â€“ September)? If so, this could be the opportunity for you: apply now for the CERN Summer Student Programme!
Eligible Countries:Â Member and Non-Member countries
Course Level:Â Internship
Eligibility Criteria:Â In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) in Physics, Engineering, Computer Science or Mathematics and should have completed, by the European SummerÂ 2019,Â at leastÂ three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2019 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before withÂ any other statusÂ (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
Value of Award:Â CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion.
In return, CERN will provide you with:
- A contract of association of 8 to 13 weeks* to work on a technical project.
- An extensive physics lecture programme (students will also be able to attend a series of IT lectures organized by Openlab).
- A 90 CHF per calendar day (net of tax) subsistence allowance to cover the cost of accommodation and meals in the Geneva area for a single person for the whole contract duration.
- A travel allowance on a lump sum basis paid at the end of your stay to help you with the cost of travel between Geneva and your residence at the time of the selection committee,
- Coverage by CERNâ€™s comprehensive Health Insurance scheme (contributionÂ already deducted from allowance).**
- Assistance to find accommodation on the CERNÂ site or nearby.
Duration of Programme:Â 8 weeks
Possible arrival dates
- Every Monday from beginning of June to the 1st Monday in July inclusive, namely 3 June, 11 June*, 17 June, 24 June and 1 July 2019.
- *Exception is Tuesday 11th June, as Monday 10th 2019 is a bank holiday at CERN.
Method of Application:Â You will need the following documents to complete your application (please make sure to name the documents accordingly e.g. CV, motivation letter, academic transcript, reference letter):
- A CV in either English or French.
- A copyÂ of yourÂ most recent academic transcript giving an overview of your marks (if you download it from your university portal please make sure the document is not protected so that we can open it).
- At least one reference letter (dated less than 12 months), preferably 2, from your lecturers.
Please make sure you have all the documents requested to hand when you start your application on our career portal as they cannot be added after its completion (only reference letters can be submitted afterwards).
Once your application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains a link. You must forward this link to at least one referee, so that they can upload their recommendation letter. Please note that this must be done before the application deadline (31 January 2019).
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 31st January 2019