Applications are invited for DAAD PhD and Master Scholarships at Regional Center for Drought Adaptation Improvement (CERAAS) in Senegal for the year 2018. Applicants from Sub-Saharan countries are eligible to apply.
Course Level:Â The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a masterâ€™s programme, or with a Masterâ€™s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Masterâ€™s or PhD courses in their home country (so-called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
Nationality:Â Applicants from Sub-Saharan countries are eligible to apply.
Eligible Countries:Â Applicants from Sub-Saharan countries (Angola, Benin, Botswana,Â Burkina Faso,Â Burundi,Â Cameroon,Â Cape Verde,Â Central African Republic,Â Chad,Â Comoros,Â Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Democratic Republic), Ivory Coast, Djibouti,Â Equatorial Guinea,Â Eritrea, Ethiopia,Â Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho,Â Liberia,Â Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda,Â Sao Tome and Principe,Â Senegal,Â Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia andÂ Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply.
Eligibility Criteria:Â Applicants
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (second class upper division)
- Clearly, show motivation and a strong commitment
- Have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Method of Application:Â First step:
Applicants must apply for their studies at CERAAS using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution.
CERAAS has set their own deadlines. CERAAS will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and shortlist the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the shortlisting procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain at least double or triple (optional) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
Pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal and register themselves and submit an DAAD application. The institution is requested to communicate the following information to the shortlisted candidates:
- Register online via the DAAD-Portal (if not already registered):
- Apply online via the DAAD-Portal under the tab â€œPersonal Fundingâ€œ/ â€œApplicationâ€œ Documents to be submitted:
â€“ DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
â€“ Hand signed curriculum vitae, including a list of publications (if applicable).
â€“ Recommendation letter by university lecturers (Master 1, PhD 2)
â€“ Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
â€“ Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see â€œAdditional benefitsâ€)
â€“ Copy of the passport or national identity card
PhD candidates have to submit the following additional documents:
â€“ Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
â€“ Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see â€œAdditional benefitsâ€)
â€“ Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of the proposal)
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â July 30, 2018