Ghent University is offering Research fellowship Bio-informatics: “Clinical implementation of genomics based precision oncology pipelines”. International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
Eligible Nationalities: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Eligibility Criteria: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
You will work in a multidisciplinary environment under the supervision of senior scientists in bioinformatics and molecular biology in the Center for Medical Genetics (cmgg.be) and within the broader framework of the Cancer Research Institute Ghent (crig.ugent.be) where you will implement and develop (new) algorithms for genomics analysis of tumors aiming at a more precise care for the patient.
- MSc with a specialization track in bioinformatics or equivalent through experience OR holder of a PhD degree in bio-informatics, (medical) biology, (bio-) engineering, computer science, or related fields, obtained in the last 5 years. Candidates with prior experience in (epi)genomics technologies and standard bioinformatics and statistical skills are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates should be team players able to help organizing multidisciplinary projects and have strong strategic analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-minded).
- Experience with the analysis of sequencing data, such as human whole exome/genome sequencing, (single cell) RNA-sequencing, including quality control, read mapping, variant detection, de novo assembly, SNP/indel calling, copy number and structural variation analysis, expression level analysis, etc is a plus.
- Solid experience with bioinformatics programming, databases and statistics for bioinformatics, including scripting (e.g. Perl, Python), R (incl. Bioconductor), UCSC Genome Browser, Ensembl API, etc, knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, etc) and web servers (Apache, etc) is strongly recommended.
- Basic insight of (cancer) biology and genomics.
- International experience (internships, short visits, etc) is appreciated.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; English language proficiency.
Method of Application: Candidates can apply by sending their CV and letter of motivation to Annelies De Paepe (A.DePaepe-at-ugent.be) before June 30th, 2018. Top-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview (either skype or on site). Location: Medical Research Building (MRB1) Center for Medical Genetics Ghent (CMGG) Ghent University Hospital Corneel Heymanslaan 10 B-9000 Ghent, Belgium tel +32 9 332 39 45 /+32 9 332 24 51.
Scholarship Application Deadline: July 01, 2018