The Carnegie Trust is delighted to offer PhD scholarships for International students to be held at a Scottish university. As long the potential candidate holds a First Class undergraduate Honours degree from a Scottish University, there are no restrictions as to nationality or residency.Â Each year, the Trust offers a number of Ph.D. scholarships to support graduates with first class Honours undergraduate degrees from a Scottish university, who wish to pursue three years of postgraduate research leading to a Ph.D. at a university in Scotland.
Course Level:Â Scholarships are available to pursue Ph.D. programme.
Eligible Nationalities:Â Students of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
- A First-Class Honours degree from a Scottish university is a pre-requisite for consideration for Scholarships. This First Class Honours degree must be in a subject related to the field of the proposed doctoral studies. Alongside existing graduates, final year undergraduate students expecting to achieve a First-Class Honours degree are also eligible for nomination.Please note that no exemptions are made to this requirement and nominations for students who do not hold a First Class Undergraduate Honours degree will not be accepted, except in faculties which do not award Honours, e.g. Medicine, where the equivalent standard will be expected Where an award is made in advance of graduation, it will be conditional on obtaining a First Class Honours degree.
- A student who has already commenced study for a research degree (MPhil, Ph.D. or equivalent) is not eligible.
- The candidate must be nominated by the prospective supervisor of the Ph.D. project and can only be submitted for consideration for a Carnegie or Caledonian Ph.D. Scholarship by one Scottish university.
- The number of submissions per Scottish university is subject to a quota (announced annually by the Trust). Each university must select its preferred candidates, according to its quota, in sufficient time to permit submission of the online application and endorsement forms ahead of the Trustâ€™s deadline. The current quota for nominations is available in the appendix to these Regulations.
- The university selected candidates must register their details on the Trustâ€™s online application system and complete an online application form. The application portal will open 4 weeks before the closing date for submissions and will be made available to the selected candidates by the administrator in charge of the selection process for the scholarships at their university. The name of the university contact is listed in the regulations for the scheme and applicant guide downloadable under the Guidelines and Regulations tab.
- Ahead of the submission deadline, the Ph.D. candidateâ€™s application must be endorsed online by their prospective supervisor. As part of the nomination process, the prospective supervisor must also upload an Institutional Statement of Support completed by a senior academic in the relevant Departmental/School: Head, Deputy Head, Research Director, Postgraduate Studies Director or Dean. The institutional statement of support must also include the signature of a university representative who can confirm the nominee is one of its chosen candidates. The form is available from the university contact listed in the appendix to the Regulations and under the Guidelines and Regulations tab.
- The full online application and endorsement by the prospective supervisor for the selected candidates must be completed and submitted online to the Trust by 28th February 2018, 5:00 pm. The awards are announced by the end of May each year.
- Nominators and Nominees are under an obligation to inform the Trust without delay of any changes to the circumstances of the Nominee, including any awards received and/or examination results obtained after the nomination has been submitted.
Method of Application:Â The full online application and endorsement by the prospective supervisor for the selected candidates must be completed and submitted online to the Trust by 28th February 2018, 5:00 pm. The awards are announced by the end of May each year.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â February 28, 2018