The Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme supports the brightest and best African scholars with great potential but few educational opportunities. Through the generous support of the Foundation, Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
The University of Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme will provide 80 undergraduate and 120 postgraduate African students with full scholarships over the next seven years. Students will receive comprehensive support to remove barriers to study in Edinburgh and they will benefit from extracurricular course elements including summer schools and internships to build their abilities and make a difference to their home countries and communities on their return.
Scholars will be provided with the opportunity to become leaders within their communities and to improve the lives of countless more when they return home to Africa.
Course Level:Â Bachelors and Masters
Offered annually?Â Yes
Eligible Countries:Â African countries
To be taken at (country):Â Scotland,Â UK
Eligible Field of Study:Â
- All Undergraduate programmes
Scholarships are available for the following Postgraduate Masters programmes:
- MSc Africa and International Development
- MSc Environment and Development
- MSc Global Health Policy
- LLM Human Rights
- MAÂ Product Design
- MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
- You must qualify academically for admission to the University of Edinburgh. We prefer that applicants apply to this scholarship BEFORE applying to the University. Please see section on applying below for more information;
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country, whose personal circumstances would make accepting an offer from the University of Edinburgh difficult. Â Applications from Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe are particularly welcome;
- You must demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within your community; and
- You are able to present economically disadvantaged circumstances and be able to show that you lack financial means from family or other sources to pursue post-secondary (university) education in your home country or elsewhere.
The scholarship is not available to students already on programme.
The scholarship may be terminated at any time when an unsatisfactory progress report is received from the School or if the scholarship holder ceases to be registered as a full-time student at the University of Edinburgh.
- The scholarships are competitive and awarded broadly on the basis of academic merit. Applicants financial, personal, and family circumstances will also be taken into account.
- Applicants must also be committed to returning to Africa following their graduation to give back to their home community and country.
Number of Awardees:Â
- 25 scholarships are available in 2018/2019 for undergraduate programmes
- 10Â scholarships are available in 2018/2019 for Masters programmes
Value of Scholarship:Â The scholarship will provide full scholarships, including accommodation costs, living costs, travel and tuition fees to students taking courses on campus at Edinburgh. 60 Scholars from other MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions will also benefit from participating in a number of online distance learning Masters programmes offered by the University of Edinburgh. As well as receiving an excellent education at one of the top ranked universities in the world, undergraduate Scholars will:
- Participate in UK and Africa based Summer Schools;
- Complete a course on African development;
- Engage in a volunteering project in their home country;
- Undertake a work-based placement in the UK;
- Receive support on their return to their home country; and
- Following their graduation, around 50% of our undergraduate Scholars will then be supported to complete distance learning Masters degrees after their return to Africa.
Postgraduate masters Scholars will:
- Complete six courses followed by the production of a dissertation;
- Participate in a retreat designed to nurture leadership skills;
- Attend a short Summer School; and
- Undertake an internship which will include reflective learning.
Online distance Masters Scholars will:
- Undertake a range of online distance Masters degrees which will be available to 60 Scholars from Edinburgh MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program institutions.
Duration of Scholarship:Â Complete duration of any programme.
Method of Application:Â All applicants must apply for the scholarship first through our online application form and, if successful, will be assisted in the process of applying for admission to the University.
It is important to go through application instructions on the Scholarship Webpage (See Link below) before applying.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 30thÂ November 2017.
Award Provider:Â The MasterCard Foundation
Important Notes:Â Interviews via video or phone will be held during February and March 2018, with final decisions made by April. All successful applicants will join the Program in September 2018.