The University of Oldenburg in Germany is inviting applications for the DAAD Scholarship for the MSc programme on the fundamentals of renewable energy, designed for scientists and engineers intending to pursue a professional career in this field in 2021.
Starting in 1987, the Postgraduate Programme Renewable Energy (PPRE) has graduated more than 4500 participants from ~85 countries in over 30 years.
Students (who must hold a 6-semester (180 CP) Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science in order to be admitted) with some professional experience in the field of energy study the theory and applications of renewable energy systems, test their skills in labs and outdoor experiments, visit companies and sites, and do an external training in industry or research institutes. The programme is completed with a thesis project.
Successful participation is awarded with an MSc degree. PPRE´s alumni made their careers in industries, consultancies, government bodies, NGOs or in research institutes.
The university keeps good contacts to alumni, who are taking part in regional seminars or are invited to give lectures for the present students. Networking with alumni includes a newsletter, e-mail distribution lists, internet platforms and visits.
The programme has cooperation agreements with universities abroad with the aim of intensifying the exchange of staff, students and curricula in the field of postgraduate renewable education.
- Applicants must have successfully completed a regular academic programme in Engineering or Science (e.g. Physics, Mech. Eng., Electr. Eng.)
- Your final grade has to equal at least a Second Upper; most of our students graduated from their previous studies in the First Division.
- Applicants have to provide certified proof of their English language competence (e.g. TOEFL, see below)
- Professional experience in the field of or related to (Renewable) Energy and/or Rural Development is appreciated; mandatory for DAAD applicants.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship recipients will be granted a full waiver of the tuition and participation fee.
- In addition, the DAAD will pay the scholarship recipients a monthly stipend of EUR 850.
- As a rule, the scholarship also includes certain payments towards health, accident, and liability insurance coverage in Germany.
- Furthermore, the DAAD will generally pay an appropriate travel allowance, unless these costs are covered by the home country or by another funding source.
- The DAAD will also pay a study and research allowance. Last but not least, the scholarship covers a mandatory two-month German course before the start of the program.
How to Apply
- Applicants for both deadlines have to use the button “Apply now” for online application. There is no possibility to hand in a paper application.
You will have to prepare and scan the following documents for your application and upload (!) them after registering and before the end of the deadline (preferred jpg format, pdf is also ok – but please note: zip-files are not accepted!):
- Final Diploma Certificate. Please hand in the original and its English translation if your certificate is neither in German nor English
- Detailed transcripts of records of your previous studies (incl. explanation/weighing of marks)
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter (1 page max), including research interests/proposal
- Certificate of English language proficiency (TOEFL ibT 80, cbT 213, pbT 550; IELTS academic 6.0; Cambridge C1) or official statement from university that previous studies were conducted in English language. Native speakers of English are exempted.
- Academic reference letters from previous professors (2)
- Records of professional employment (official statement/recommendation from employer)
- For non-DAAD applicants only: official statement of financial coverage of 20.000 Euros
- For DAAD applicants only: application form (!) for a scholarship with relevance to developing countries from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Also, please be aware that the DAAD asks for additional documents; please read the requirements listed online carefully.
Deadline: Online-Application deadline is October 15, 2020.