TheÂ Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciencesâ€™sâ€‹Â call for applicationsÂ is open from the 15th of June to 31 July and will recruit for full-time PhD scholarship positions, funded by the Graduate SchoolÂ to a maximum ofÂ R138 000 per year for three years.Â The Graduate School allocates these scholarships by considering each application on its own merit.
Candidates must meet the following minimum criteria to be considered for a scholarship:
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD at Stellenbosch University. This requires a masterâ€™s degree in the relevant discipline or, in exceptional circumstances, an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates must have achieved a grade of 65% in their masterâ€™s programmes.
- Candidates must be under forty years of age when the programme commences in January.
- Only applications in one of the Facultyâ€™sÂ Research ThemesÂ Â will be considered.
- All students who meet the above criteria will be considered.Â â€‹â€‹
â€‹Application processÂ â€“Â GEMÂ Scholarships
â€‹Follow these steps to apply for the 2021Â cohort of the Graduate School:
- Read the criteria for eligibility stated above.
- Fill in theÂ Application form
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept noteÂ (no maximum length) onÂ one or more selected research topics or problems which you intend to study in the course of your doctoral programme. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- Please consult theÂ â€‹2020Â Research ThemesÂ to guide you in choosing a research topic. Research topicsÂ outside the listed researchÂ themes can be accommodated only if it falls within the current research themes that are active in one of the Facultyâ€™s academic departments.
- Please note that scholarships can only be awarded where the Faculty is able to appoint a suitable supervisor for the topic to be studied.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee entry. There are limited scholarships available and awards are made on a competitive basis.
- Please ensure that your three references are informed that their referee reports stating your capability to complete doctoral studies should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email (GEM@sun.ac.za)Â on or beforeÂ 31 July 2020.
- Send your completed application form electronically to:Â GEM@sun.ac.za
Due to the large number of applications recieved, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.Â If you have not received communication from the Graduate School Office by the 16thÂ of October 2020, the application should be considered as unsuccessful.
The new intake of PhD will commence their studies on the 20thÂ of January 2021.
â€‹â€‹Graduate School Office contact detailsÂ â€‹Email:Â GEM@sun.ac.zaâ€‹
For More Information:
Application Deadline:Â 31 July 2020.