Facebook Reality Labs (FRL)Â brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of virtual and augmented reality, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. And just as personal computers have done over the past 45 years, AR and VR will ultimately change everything about how we work, play, and connect.
he aim of the FRL Liquid Crystal Research Awards is to encourage young generations in the LC field and in other cross-disciplinary fields to help unlock the possibilities of LC technology in the AR/VR field. FRL is pleased to invite researchers, graduate students, and postdocs (who have graduated in the last three years), with research experience in the liquid crystal field, to apply for this award.
In order to support academic work that addresses our challenges and opportunities while producing generalizable knowledge, FRL is pleased to offer six research awards. The awards include one Diamond Award of $5000, two Platinum Awards of $3500, and three Gold Awards of $2500.
- Applicants must either be a graduate student currently enrolled in a Masterâ€™s or Ph.D.program, or a postdoc in an academic research group who graduated within three years from the application date.
- Applicants must have a proven track record of achieving significant results Â demonstrated Â by first-authored publications in leading research journals, or relevant conference presentations organized by ILCS, SID, OSA, SPIE, IEEE, or similar.
- This award is not open to any current Facebook employees, including STE, FTEs, interns,or contingent workers.
Awards must comply with applicable US and international laws, regulations, and policies.
How to Apply
To apply for this award, please submit the following documents through this link.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV; required):Â A CV that lists your research projects and publications to help us understand Â the significance of your research for AR/VR application and the quality of your results.
- Cover letter (required):Â A cover letter to share with us who you are, your research experience and passion, Â the connection between your research in liquid crystal and the AR/VR field, and how this award will help you pursue your research goal.
- Prior publications in the AR/VR field (required):Â Along with your application, please submit at least one full paper of your prior first-authored publications which can demonstrate the quality of your work in the intersection area between liquid crystal technology and the AR/VR field.
- Recommendation letter (optional):Â At least one recommendation letter is preferred, but not required, along with Â your application. The recommendation letter could come from your professor or your collaborators.
- Deadline to apply isÂ July 1, 2020, 11:59 PM PST.
- Awards notifications will be sent by email to award winners byÂ September 1, 2020.
Application Deadline:Â July 1, 2020, 11:59 PM PST.