The African Studies Centre Leiden calls for applications for a three-month (90 days) visiting fellowship from January up to and including March 2020. Applications from all academic disciplines are welcome. An application must include an element of collaboration with a researcher of the African Studies Centre Leiden. The output of that collaboration can be a joint seminar or workshop, a joint research proposal, or a joint publication.
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards;
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree, by the time of applying;
- Have conducted research, as part of the PhD and/or in later projects; with a focus on Africa;
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career;
In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements:
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. â€˜Africaâ€™ here refers to the member states of the African Union. â€˜Based inâ€™ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years; and
African Studies Centre Leiden (ASCL) Visiting Fellowship Programme Benefits.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own single bed/sitting room. Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unaccaptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Method of Application
Applications must be submitted inÂ EnglishÂ orÂ French. However, Visiting Research Fellows may pursue their research in any language(s) of their choice, in agreement with their ASCL/Leiden University counterparts.
Complete application form and send it, together with all required additional documents, to:Â email@example.com.
- your updated list of publications;
- a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles;
- two recent letters of recommendation;
- a statement from an ASCL researcher stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you;
- a statement from a Leiden University researcher (not ASCL) stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you.
Scholarship Application Deadline: 1st April, 2020.