The NEF invites applications for the 2019 Africa Energy Ideas Competition that is set to accelerate the development of early-stage energy firms across Africa.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Lagos, Nigeria
Course Level: Contest, Entrepreneurship
- Young professionals between the ages of 18 and 35 years from Africa are invited to participate in the competition and nominate a relevant local research institution or organization.
- Applications may be submitted by a team of up to three people. At least 1 member of the team must be from the local research institution or industry.
- Teams may be formed across different schools, institutions, companies, countries etc. Individuals or teams may submit multiple applications.
Selection Criteria: The first round of submissions will be evaluated using the following attributes:
- Local Content: utilize local resources, demonstrate the use of local expertise, alternative energy services or efficient solutions for powering agriculture, education, healthcare, industries etc.; and be significant enough to impact large numbers of people, households and/or businesses.
- Originality and creativity: present solutions that are original, creative in areas that are either underdeveloped or severely underdeveloped in research and literature.
- Commercial Viability: proposed prototype model should be realistic, practical rather than just theory, cost-efficient and outline commercial arrangements that address obvious roadblocks, using a specific prototype model.
- Clarity: ideas should be presented in a clear and concise manner with realistic completion timeline.
Value of Award: The finalists and winners will be selected by a panel of academics and experienced development professionals from public and private sector institutions. Winners of the competition get the opportunity to:
- ⇒ Pitch their proposed prototype model at the 2018 Nigeria Energy Forum, in Lagos, Nigeria, using a poster and short video.
- ⇒ Benefit from unique networking opportunities with other young leaders as well as some of the most senior decision-makers in government, international development, academia and the private sector.
- ⇒ Attend a range of business development workshops, receive support from a dedicated start-up incubator and a cash prize of up to $3,000 to demonstrate the proposed solution.
Method of Application: Your proposed prototype model submission must not exceed 1-side of an A4 page and should include the following:
- Project Title
- Your solution (250 words)
- Partner Institution or Industry
- Expected impact (50 words)
- Short abstract (50 words)
- Design tools and method (50 words)
- Problem Statement (50 words)
Estimated costs and timeline (50 words)
- Submissions must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject line of the email should follow the format: [Country] Title of the Project.
- Submissions that exceed the word count may be disqualified. Shortlisted submissions would be invited to participate in the final round by submitting a 1-page poster to summarize their design, with a detailed budget, 2-page Design Brief, and a Short 2-minute video to describe a prototype model of the proposed solution.
Scholarship Application Deadline:
- Deadline for proposal submission: 31st January, 2019
- Announcement of submissions selected for the final round: 20th February, 2019
- Deadline for final submissions: 13th March, 2019
- Announcement of winners: 9th April, 2019.