The Max Planck Research School for Solar System Science (MPS) at the University of GÃ¶ttingen is now accepting applications for PhD positions in Solar System Science. The call is open to students from all countries and offers an international three-year Ph.D. program.
Course Level:Â Positions are available to pursue PhD programme.
Available Subject:Â Â Positions are awarded in Solar System Science. Research at the MPSÂ covers three main areas:
- â€œSun and Heliosphereâ€,
- â€œSolar and Stellar Interiorsâ€,
- â€œPlanets and Cometsâ€.
Scholarship Benefits:Â Successful applicants will be offered a three-year doctoral support contract as well as postdoc wrap-up funding.
Number of Scholarships:Â About 45 students are enrolled at any given time. Their funding comes from several sources. The yearly call for applications primarily addresses candidates applying for an IMPRS-funded position, but anyone hired on a project position and desiring to pursue work towards a Ph.D. under the roof of the IMPRS also needs to submit an application to IMPRS. In some cases, applicants for IMPRS positions will also be redirected to open project positions suitable to pursue Ph.D. work. We admit about 10-15 Ph.D. students in total per year.
Eligibility Criteria:Â The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Solar System School students collaborate with leading scientists in these fields and graduates are awarded a doctoral degree from the renowned University of GÃ¶ttingen or, if they choose, another university.
- The Solar System School is open to students from all countries and offers an international three-year Ph.D. program in an exceptional research environment with state-of-the-art facilities on the GÃ¶ttingen Campus. Successful applicants will be offered a three-year doctoral support contract as well as postdoc wrap-up funding.
- The language of the structured graduate program in English, with complimentary German language courses offered (optional). The program includes an inspiring curriculum of scientific lectures and seminars as well as advanced training workshops and provides relocation costs and travel funds to attend international conferences.
- Applicants to the Solar System School should have a keen interest in Solar system science and a record of academic excellence. They must have or must be about to obtain, an M.Sc. degree or equivalent in physics, earth sciences or a related field, including a written Masterâ€™s thesis, and must document a good command of the English language.
Eligible Nationalities:Â The Solar System School is open to students from all countries.
Method of Application:Â Applicants must submit the following documents through the online application portal between 1 October and 15 November 2017:
- An application form to be filled online, including two short texts describing the applicantâ€™s scientific interests and their motivation to apply forÂ PhD projects in the Solar System School, along with the applicantâ€™s choice of up to three PhD projects;
- A curriculum vitae in pdf format;
- Degree certificates and full transcripts of all academic records: i.e. scanned copies of B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree certificates (or equivalent), and lists of all courses with credits and grades issued by the respective school or university, with English or German translations;
- Contact details for two or more referees who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation on behalf of the applicant. The referees will be contacted by the School and will be asked to submit their letters through the online portal no later than November 20, 2017.
- It is highly recommended to also submit
- certificate to prove proficiency in the English language, for candidates whose native language is not English or German (e.g. transcript of TOEFL / IELTS scores or equivalent);
- GRE Physics test scores or equivalent for candidates who have obtained their Masterâ€™s degree at a university outside of Europe.
- The Solar System School is committed to diversity. The MPS is an equal opportunity employer and places particular emphasis on providing career opportunities for women. Applications of people with disabilities are encouraged and will be favoured in case of comparable qualifications.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â November 15, 2017.