The new BioSys PhD Scholarships are now available for highly promising young scientists. Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
TheÂ BioSys-Biological Systems, Functional & Integrative GenomicsÂ PhD Programme (PhD in Biology/Biochemistry) is a multidisciplinary PhD Programme in the framework of the FCT PhD Programmes Call opened by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology IP (FCT, IP).
In order to be eligible candidates should demonstrate their fluency (in writing, speaking, and reading) in English.
Course Level:Â Scholarships are available to pursue PhD programme.
Available Subject:Â 2018 BioSys Projects
National PhD Projects
- DIS3L2 in NMDâ€“ The involvement of DIS3L2 in nonsense-mediated mRNA decay and its functional networks in colorectal cancer, Supervisor: LuÃsa RomÃ£o, BioISI/INSA, Co-supervisor: Paulo Matos, BioISI/FCUL.
- miRNA34â€“ An integrative approach to tissue-specific effects of microRNA regulatory networks, Supervisor: Margarida Gama-Carvalho, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Nham Tran, UTS (Australia).
- IDSS-P4â€“ Intelligent Decision Support Systems for personalized prevention and clinical management of infectious diseases, Supervisor: Ricardo Dias, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Francisco Couto, DI/FCUL
- Mol4Healthâ€“ Molecules for Health: cholesterol absorption and transporter proteins expression under the effect of bioactive molecules, Supervisor: Maria LuÃsa Serralheiro, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Mafalda Bourbon, BioISI/INSA
- Orphan CFTR mutationsâ€“ Orphan CFTR mutations â€“ from disease mechanisms to novel therapeutic opportunities, Supervisor: Carlos Farinha, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Margarida Amaral, BioISI/FCUL and AndrÃ© FalcÃ£o, DI/FCUL
International PhD projects
- GrapeResist2DownyMildewâ€“ Grapevine resistance to downy mildew: the innovative role of subtilisin-like proteases, Supervisor: Andreia Figueiredo, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Gunther Buchholz, Institute for Plant Research (Germany)
- Computâ€™Omicsâ€“ Metabolomics and genomics of microbial infections and gut microbiome dynamics in patients undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, Supervisor: Francisco Pinto, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: JoÃ£o Xavier, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (USA)
- GrapeVine17â€“ Remodelling of grape cell wall upon infection with biotrophic and necrotrophic pathogens, Supervisor: Ana Margarida Fortes, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: John Moore, Stellenbosch University (South Africa)
- Resist2antimalarialsâ€“ Resistance to antimalarials â€“ a pharmacogenomics approach for both parasite and human host, Supervisor: Jose Pedro Gil, BioISI/FCUL/Karolinska Institute, Co-supervisor: Volker M. Lauschke, Karolinska Institute (Sweden).
- S100B@Alzhâ€“ The role of secondary modification of S100B in protein aggregation and its influence on Alzheimerâ€™s disease pathology, Supervisor: ClÃ¡udio Gomes, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Andreas Grabrucker, Univ Limerick (Ireland)
- A9â€“ Cystic Fibrosis Therapies through Non-CFTR Anion Channels/ Transporters, Supervisor: Margarida Amaral, BioISI/FCUL, Co-supervisor: Karl Kunzelmann, Regensburg (Germany).
Scholarship Benefits:Â The grant component follows theÂ rules of FCT, which you should read for a detailed description of applicable conditions. In summary, it includes:
- A monthly allowance whose current amount is 980 Euros (1710 Euros for mixed scholarships);
- A pre-established allowance for registration with the PhD degree at FCUL/UL;
- Social security insurance (optional)
- Personal accident insurance.
Number of Scholarships:Â BioSys has already enrolled 44 highly promising young scientists and will enrol another 11Â PhD students in the next year.
Eligibility Criteria:Â The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
As this is an interdisciplinary course, the programme is open to candidates holding an MSc degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics, and Engineering. Candidates from non-Biological areas are thus strongly encouraged to apply.
- Top students are encouraged to enroll and applicants with previous research experience and laboratory skills will be favoured.
- Highly qualified students of all nationalities may apply for BioSys PhD programme!
- Candidates should demonstrate their fluency (in writing, speaking, and reading) in English.
- Applicants should have an interest in establishing innovative techniques and enjoy working in an international stimulating research environment.
- The MSc degree will be required from candidates applying from countries within the Bologna agreement, or those with similar undergraduate programs (3-year BSc programmes). MScÂ degree must be held until application deadline or a proof of experience in the field of the project should be provided.
- Applicants who received their BSs 5-year degree prior to the Bologna agreement or those from a country with a 4- or 5-year University undergraduate (BSc) degree are normally also eligible but should contact the office of the PhD programme first.
- A minimum admission grade of 14/20 (for the undergraduate degree) and 16/20 for the MSc degree is required. However, exceptional students with proven research experience (e.g., publications) but lower grades may also apply.
Eligible Nationalities:Â Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
Method of Application:Â The applications should be sent via e-mail, using the application form available at website BioSys. Candidates have to hold their academic degree by the deadline of this call. If these conditions are not fulfilled the grant will not be awarded.
BioSYSÂ application process includes the following documents:
- BioSys_Application Form_2018;
- Motivation letter;
- Two References lettersÂ from previous supervisors or professors well acquainted with the student;
- Curriculum Vitae, including information on education & degrees obtained (with marks), research experience and, if applicable, list of publications;
- Photocopy ofÂ MSc degree diplomaÂ (or equivalent). Also include transcripts of academic records (additional official translation is required if the documents are not in English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish)
- Photocopy of one validÂ ID documentÂ with photo (passport or other).
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â October 24, 2017.