The University of South Bohemia in Ceske Budejovice Faculty of Fisheries and Protection of Waters, Research Institute of Fish Culture and Hydrobiology is the largest and most comprehensive facilities focusing on basic research and primarily on applied research in the sphere of fish culture in the Czech Republic.
The University of South Bohemia is now accepting applications for full-time PhD Scholarship in Fishery for academic year 2017/2018. Students from around the world are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
The study aims to prepare students for their future research, scientific or pedagogical career at universities or research institutions and top-management of big companies even transnational ones.
Course Level:Â Scholarship is available to pursue PhD programme.
Study Subject:Â Scholarship is awarded to study Fishery 4103V003. This study deepens knowledge and abilities acquired in the master study in relation to detailed professional specialization usually in context with current scientific and research issues in aquaculture, fish genetics, and reproduction, fisheries, water protection, hydrobiology, aquatic toxicology etc.
Scholarship Award:Â Value of the scholarship:
- It is a daily study with a minimum of 25 days of vacation + 12 days of national holiday.
â€¢ The study is free of charge â€“ when you study in the standard period.
â€¢ Under this study, a scholarship will be paid to you.
â€¢ You will get a minimal workload at our faculty of 10 %. Under certain condition, it might be up to 100 %.
â€¢ Your average monthly income (scholarship + salary) will be about 13,000 â€“ 15,000 CZK. Excellent students can have income even more than 20,000 CZK.
â€¢ It is a Czech program, but applicants from worldwide can be admitted to this program. Knowledge of Czech language is not an obligation. It is enough when you speak English.
Number of Scholarships:Â Not Known
Scholarship can be taken inÂ the Czech Republic
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- All applicants, whose application will not be excluded by the admission committee due to formal deficiencies, will be invited for the admission interview. The admission interview can take place in justified cases with the use of electronic communication technologies. In that case, however, the applicant bears the risks associated with the evaluation due to the poor quality of the connection. The applications of candidates who donÂ´t appear for the interview without excuse will be excluded from the admission procedure. Applicants, who are unable to attend the interview, apologize in time and the excuse is accepted by the Dean, will be assessed by the admission committee in their absence based on the supplied materials.
- The applicant must demonstrate a sufficiently wide base of general knowledge in animal biology, fisheries, and water ecology during the admission interview. Knowledge of basic fishery literature with a clear idea of the topic of his/her PhD thesis and the ways of dealing with the given issues, plus a strong interest in scientific work are expected. An integral part of the admission interview is verification of the ability to communicate in the English language.
- The admission committee assigns 0-10 points to the applicant on the basis of the oral interview. Another 0-20 points will be assigned to the applicant on the basis of information about previous education, experience, publication and pedagogical activity etc. In this evaluation, the committee of the admission procedure will also take into account the position of the head of the relevant organizational unit of the faculty, where the student is going to work. The evaluation itself will be created by the average of the points proposed by the present members of the committee, rounded to two decimal places. Applicants, who do not receive more than 15 points, cannot be admitted to study.
- If more than one applicant is assigned to the topic of the dissertation, the candidate who receives the highest score will be accepted. In the case of the same number of points, the lot decides about the selected applicant. If one candidate is assigned to a given topic and he/she obtains at least 15 points from the admission committee, he/she will be accepted for study after the other conditions are fulfilled. Applicants who gain more than 15 points, but the topic of the PhD thesis they have applied for will be filled by an applicant with a higher number of points, will be offered the opportunity to accept free topics of the PhD thesis if their supervisors are interested. Offering topics of vacant dissertations will be done according to the instructions of supervisors who issue them.
- The admission procedure for the doctoral field of study Fishery will take place in the English language; other conditions for the admission procedure to doctoral study remain consistent with the ones mentioned above. Fees for study in the English language are determined by the Dean of the faculty in a separate decision in advance before the term for submission of applications (30thÂ November 2017).
- Applicants, who receive more than 15 points from the admission committee are placed among the admitted students or agree on the admission to a free topic, and meet other conditions for admission, will receive notification of acceptance.
- Applicants, who receive more than 15 points from the admission committee and are placed in the number of admitted students, or agree on the admission to a free topic, but do not meet the conditions for admission (it concerns applicants who do not have terminated masterÂ´s education at the time of the interview or do not have recognized foreign education in the Czech Republic), will be informed that they have met the conditions for admission and will be accepted after all conditions have been met.
- Applicants, who do not receive more than 15 points from the admission committee or are not placed among the admitted students and are not offered other free topic of the Ph.D. thesis, or students who do not meet other conditions (in particular with regard to evidence of masterÂ´s education under the above conditions), will not be admitted to study.
Nationality:Â Students from around the world are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: The admission procedure for the doctoral field of study Fishery will take place in the English language; other conditions for the admission procedure to doctoral study remain consistent with the ones mentioned above.
English Language Requirements: It is a Czech program, but applicants from worldwide can be admitted to this program. Knowledge of Czech language is not an obligation. It is enough when you speak English.
Method of Application:
1) Look at the offered themes of PhD thesis for a forthcoming academic year and select one of them.
2) Get in contact with supervisor written by the selected theme. In case of a mutual deal, complete the application form for the doctoral studyÂ hereÂ and print it. The name of the field of study, the form of study and the language of study (Czech or English) must be specified in the application.
3)Â Include all necessary attachments:
â€¢ List of marks and credits from passed subjects of masterâ€™s study verified by the study department (office) of the respective university, where the student studied â€“ this applies to applicants for doctoral study, who have a possibility to be accepted without an admission interview. This obligation is not for students of the FFPW USB.
- Verified copy of a diploma about terminated bachelorÂ´s and masterÂ´s study. Applicants, who have not properly completed masterâ€™s degree by the closing date for submitting their application for study, shall indicate in their CV the expected time for completing the studies (issue of a diploma). The proof of masterÂ´s study termination must be submitted immediately after its receipt, no later than on the enrolment day to doctoral study. Provided that the graduation took place at a foreign university, the applicant submits a document about the equivalence of foreign study and diploma with a study in a masterÂ´s study program accredited at a university in the CR, issued by its rectorÂ´s decision, unless the international treaty provides otherwise.
- Motivation letter with the justification of interest in the study of the DSP at the FFPW USB, justifying the selection of the dissertation topic and a brief idea of how to solve or approach the solution of a selected topic of the dissertation. The candidate applies for a specific topic of the dissertation by the selection from the themes offered for the given admission procedure. The list of offered dissertation topics is available on the websites of the FFPW USB.
â€¢ Brief structured curriculum vitae with details about achieved education, expert or scientific and research activities, list of publications and lectures, or reviews of expert activities
- VerifiedÂ copy of an English language test certificate at least at the FCE level (B2) â€“Â this applies to applicants for study programs taught in the English language.
4) All attachments except the documents verifying educational level can be delivered as re-attachments when submitting the application form via the online application byÂ 30th November 2017 (by e-mail to the address of Study office or as an attachment of the application form submitted by the online application). In the case of specializations taught in the English language, the application and attachments must be written in English.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â November 30, 2017.
For more info, visitÂ Scholarship Link