The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to disadvantaged communities.
The MasterCard Foundation offers a full scholarship to students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following Undergraduate and Masters study programmes at the UniversityÂ of Pretoria.
Award Provider:Â Mastercard Foundation, University of Pretoria
Course level:Â Undergraduate and Masters (Taught)
Offered annually?Â Yes
Eligible Countries:Â Sub-SaharanÂ African countries
To be taken at (country):Â South Africa
Fields of Study:Â
Faculty of Engineering
- BEng (Industrial Engineering)
- BEng (Chemical Engineering)
- BEng (Civil Engineering)
- BEng (Electrical Engineering)
- BEng (Electronic Engineering)
- BEng (Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering)
- BEng (Mining Engineering)
- BEng (Computer Engineering)
Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- BCom (Accounting Science)
- BCom (Financial Science)
- BCom (Economics)
- BCom (Informatics)
- BCom (Agribusiness Management)
Faculty of Natural and Agricultural SciencesÂ
- BScAgric (Food Science and Technology)
- BScAgric (Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness Management)
- BScAgric (Animal Science)
- BScAgric (Plant Pathology)
- BScAgric (Applied Plant and Soil Sciences)
Postgraduate Study Programmes
Masterâ€™s degree applicants in the above-mentioned fields may also apply.
Honourâ€™s candidates will be considered if they are prepared to commit to continuing to a Masterâ€™s degree.
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme
Selection Criteria:Â Â The identified scholars need to demonstrate a commitment to making a difference in their communities, having faced significant barriers to accessing and completing quality tertiary education. The Program provides a comprehensive scholarship, mentoring and counseling, academic support and access to work readiness skills.
Number of Awardees:Â Several
Value of Scholarship:Â The Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid (Ingwe only)
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period.
Duration of Scholarship:Â Period of degree
Method of Application:Â
Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process in the Scholarship webpage (Link below)
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 30thÂ August 2017
Important Notes:Â All potential MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) applicants for academic year 2018 have to apply at the respective facultyÂ FIRSTÂ before applying for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.Â Once your application has been approved then you may apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
No MCFSP applications will be considered if you have not applied at the faculty first.