Visiting Fellowship Programme
The ASC Leiden hosts visiting research fellows in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly (Leiden ASA), a network for cooperation between Leiden based Africanists.
Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University.
A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days.
Requirements for a 90-day visiting research fellowship
- At the time of applying, the applicant must hold a PhD with a focus on Africa.
- The applicant has to be fluent in English and/or French.
- The applicant must have an active academic career.
- The applicant must have recently published books and/or articles that meet international standards (at least three published articles in the past five years).
- The research fellowship must contribute to interfaculty collaboration at Leiden University.
- Preference is given to candidates employed by an African research institute with which Leiden University already has an MoU or aspires to have an MoU in the framework of the Leiden African Studies Assembly.
- In accordance with visa regulations, applicants must be able to return to their country of origin after their fellowship.
This research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own bed/sitting room (suitable for one person only). Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female). If the offered accommodation is unaccaptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
Eligible Countries: African countries
Eligibility: To be eligible for this fellowship, applicants must:
- hold a PhD with a focus on Africa.
- be fluent in English and/or French.
- have an active academic career.
- have recently published books and/or articles that meet international standards (at least three published articles in the past five years).
- be able to return to their country of origin after their fellowship.
Method of Application
All Eligible and Interested applicants must apply by completing the application_form Â and returning it, with the requested attachments, to: LeidenASA@asc.leidenuniv.nl
Fellowship Application closing date: 1st July 2017.
Visit The Fellowship Webpage For More Information