The Professional Fellows Program (PFP) for economic empowerment in the Middle East and North Africa is a two-way exchange program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and designed to promote mutual understanding, enhance leadership and professional skills, and build lasting, sustainable partnerships between mid-level emerging leaders committed to strengthening their communities through social entrepreneurship and workforce development. The program base is Washington D.C. with Fellowship placements in either Austin Texas, Detroit Michigan or Washington DC. The Fall 2022 program concluded in November. The Spring 2023 program will happen from May 1 to June 9, 2023.
PFP Fellows are placed in intensive fellowships in non-profit organizations, private sector businesses, and government offices for an individually tailored professional development experience. They build a broad network with American and other program participant colleagues as they develop a deeper understanding of U.S. society and enhance their professional skills. American participants who have hosted foreign fellows travel overseas for participant-driven reciprocal programs.
- Entrepreneurs and Social Innovators.Small & medium business Owners and Managers who are investing in innovative socially conscious products and programs.
- Individuals working in Civil Society/NGOs working on youth workforce training and development, increasing the role of marginalized populations in the economy, building financial literacy, training in technology use and IT development, and other efforts around economic empowerment.
- Individuals working in University incubators, accelerators, and job-readiness programs, and programs focusing on business development, financial literacy, sustainable tourism, or economic development.
- Individuals working in Government Agencies/Ministries, national policy offices, think-tanks, and offices working to increase the presence of underrepresented citizens in the economy.
- You must be a citizen of and current resident in: Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco or Tunisia.
If you are selected as a finalist, Legacy International and the US Department of State will cover all costs associated with your international travel, visa, and basic living costs in the U.S.
SELECTED FELLOWS WILL LEARN:
- Effective practices in business management (developing a business plan, financing and accounting, human resource management, marketing, strategic planning, and networking, etc.);
- Principles of social entrepreneurship and increase the ability to run effective community outreach and public relations campaigns;
- Best practices from American colleagues in workforce development, gain exposure to models and innovative and practical ideas and tools in increase effectiveness of these programs;
- Increase the ability to think “outside of the box,” and spark creative, innovative approaches to problems, products, and marketplaces;
- Acquire new skills and strategies to engage effectively with policymakers and government officials;
- Form new or improved strategic partnerships.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM COMPONENTS:
- Professional Fellows Congress: Both the fall 2022 and spring 2023 programs will conclude with a 3-day « Professional Fellows Congress » in Washington, DC. This event will bring together approximately 350 fellows from around the world. Fellows will have the opportunity to build relationships with fellows from dozens of countries and learn the tools of effective leadership.
- Follow-on Project Development: Each fellow will spend time developing an idea for a follow-on project to be implemented upon returning home. Fellows will participate in a number of training sessions to learn project design skills and write a project proposal during their time in the US.
- Outbound Program: US delegates who acted as hosts or mentors during the US immersion segment will be selected to travel to Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, or Tunisia to co-lead training seminars and gain first-hand knowledge of the country and its people. Fellows will assist in planning the US Delegation’s visit and hosting them.
- The application for 2023-2024 will open on Tuesday, November 22, at 9:00 AM EDT.
- The application will then close on Monday, January 9, 2023 at 12:00 PM EST.
- Applicants will be notified of their status in late February.
For More Information: