The John S. Knight Journalism Fellowships supports diverse journalists from around the world who are creating solutions to journalism’s most urgent problems. We focus on helping these journalism leaders succeed as effective change agents, improving the access to information people need to create and sustain democratic communities.
The core fellowship is a 10-month residential program on the Stanford University campus that allows journalists to step away from professional obligations to develop the leadership resilience needed for our times. Through individual coaching, access to Stanford experts and resources, tailored workshops and peer-to-peer learning, the JSK Fellowships helps fellows identify the tools and mindsets needed to effectively lead and navigate change.
U.S. and international journalists with digital-native and legacy news organizations, independent journalists, journalism entrepreneurs and journalism innovators.
Applicants need to have at least five years of full-time professional work experience. We do not require applicants to have a college degree or experience in traditional newsrooms.
The JSK Fellowships is seeking change agents who:
- Are fiercely committed to the future of journalism, in all of its messy uncertainty
- Aren’t satisfied with the “way things have always been done”Are eager to grow as journalists, as leaders, as people – they believe their best work and best selves are in front of them
- Embrace diversity
- Are excited about the prospect of being coached through a deep examination of their mindsets and perceptions of themselves and their place in journalism
- Like the idea of being “in fellowship” with a cohort of other journalists from varied professional and personal backgrounds
- Are ready to set aside current work responsibilities and dig into a 10-month journey of professional and personal exploration.
- During the 10-month fellowship provide JSK Fellows with individual coaching, tailored workshops on leadership, a cohort of their peers and guidance that sparks professional and personal transformation.
- Fellows also have the time and freedom to explore the resources of a world-class university. JSK help fellows to develop the leadership resilience and mindsets needed to effectively lead and navigate change for decades to come.
- JSK Fellows are welcomed as members of a global community working to improve journalism and gain new friendships, professional connections and skills that will continue beyond the fellowship. We invest in each of our fellows as journalists — and as people — for life.
- JSK provide a stipend of $95,000, plus a few supplements to help with living expenses. JSK provide an extra $6,000 for singles, $8,000 for couples, and $10,000 for families to help you with your rent.
- In addition, for fellows with children up through high school graduation, JSK provide an additional supplemental payment of $12,000. JSK also cover the cost of Stanford tuition for fellows and Stanford health insurance for fellows, spouses and children. JSK also help fellows find rental housing near campus.
Application Deadline: December 1st, 2022
For More Information: