Created by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) of the government of South Africa, the annual Science Forum South Africa (SFSA) meeting is the largest pan-African general science gathering dedicated to scientific research and innovation. The two-and-a-half-day programme held each December in Pretoria brings more than 3500 participants together for discussion and debate in plenary sessions, panel discussions and interactive talks.
The large exhibition space, where demonstration events are regularly held, allied to a strong social programme, enhances this ‘melting pot’ of ideas, cultures, experiences and connections that past delegate feedback recognises as the hallmark of Science Forum South Africa.
The conference is also backed-up by a dedicated media programme that includes press briefings, targeted interview opportunities and side trips to important infrastructure of national, continental and global significance.
Science Forum South Africa 2022 is being merged with the World Science Forum 2022 and will move to Cape Town with a ceiling of 2000 invited delegates. It will, like previous editions, serve as an open, public platform to debate the science and society interface. Leading scientists, researchers, young researchers, journalists, business people, entrepreneurs and innovators, policy makers, science and technology communicators and the general public will ignite conversations about science. They will discuss new discoveries and debate the direction that research is taking in the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
- Any science-interested journalist, irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, place of residence and media (paper, radio, TV, web) are welcome to apply.
- Media accreditation will be required, as will proof of recent work and an intention or commission to cover the conference programme.
- Candidates will also be asked to provide a few simple lines as to what the conference theme of “science for social justice” might mean to them. As a legacy of WSF2022, it is hoped that social justice might also better inform and become more prevalent in scientific coverage worldwide.
In addition to ample interviewing opportunities and a reserved media working area, successful candidates will be provided with:
- Bed & breakfast at a WSF2022 approved hotel;
- free accommodation from 3 – 10 December, subject to flight options and media side trip planning (tbc);
- free conference registration;
- free access to all programme and side-event activities;
- free onsite catering when offered by organisers or partners.
What will not be included nor reimbursed are:
- visa application costs;
- airport shuttles to and from the recipient’s home address; or to and from Cape Town airport; or to and from the conference hotel; or to and from any WSF side event locations;
- daily sundry costs of any nature.
- To submit an application, follow the link below to the World Federation’s site and click on “Apply for a Media Grant”. Follow the application procedure
- On submitting the application form for travel grants, you agree to the full acceptance of the rules and to the decision taken by the Selection Committee.
- The deadline for submitting an application is Friday 30th September 2022, 18:00 pm CET.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2022
For More Information: