The Yale Drama Series is seeking submissions for its 2023 playwriting competition. The winning play will be selected by the series’ current judge, Jeremy O. Harris. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the David Charles Horn Prize of $10,000, publication of their manuscript by Yale University Press, and a celebratory event. The prize and publication are contingent on the playwright’s agreeing to the terms of the publishing agreement.
There is no entry fee. Please follow these guidelines in preparing your manuscript:
- This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays, with a minimum of 65 pages. Plays with less than 65 pages will not be considered. Translations, musicals, and children’s plays are not accepted.
- The Yale Drama Series is intended to support emerging playwrights. Playwrights may win the competition only once.
- Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year. Only manuscripts authored by one playwright are eligible.
- Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production or that have been published as an actor’s edition will be considered.
- Plays may not be under option, commissioned, or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
- Plays must be typed/word-processed and page-numbered.
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right to reject any manuscript for any reason.
- The Yale Drama Series reserves the right of the judge to not choose a winner for any given year of the competition and reserves the right to determine the ineligibility of a winner, in keeping with the spirit of the competition, and based upon the accomplishments of the author.
The Yale Drama Series Competition strongly urges electronic submission. By electronically submitting your script, you will receive immediate confirmation of your successful submission and the ability to check the status of your entry.
Electronic submissions for the 2023 competition must be submitted no earlier than June 1, 2022, and no later than August 15, 2022. The submission window closes at midnight EST.
If you are submitting your play electronically, please omit your name and contact information from your manuscript and submission file name. The manuscript must begin with a title page that shows the play’s title, a 2-3 sentence keynote description of the play, a list of characters, and a list of acts and scenes. Please enter the title of your play, your name and contact information (including address, phone number, and email address), and a brief biography where indicated in the electronic submission form.
Application Deadline: August 15, 2022
For More Information: