Ufahamu Africa invites researchers, journalists, practitioners, and podcasters interested in contributing to content creation and dissemination of cutting-edge analysis and important narratives about life and politics on the continent to apply for a ten month non-resident fellowship. The fellowship will run between September 2021 and May 2022.
Selected fellows will have the opportunity to guest host podcast episodes, identify future guests and themes, create partnerships with other content producers and disseminators, and build their research and partnership networks.
- Have experience with research and/or media dissemination to general publics.
- Demonstrate commitment to open-access knowledge dissemination.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and experience with engaging general publics, policy-makers, researchers on topics related to life and politics on the continent.
- Demonstrate a commitment to building the capacity of African research institutions/universities/ media centers and journalists.
- Submit a clear and innovative research proposal.
- Be computer literate, fluent in English, and a strong public speaker.
African nationals, scholars, journalists, or content creators based in Africa and female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Team proposals are welcome. Familiarity with the Ufahamu Africa podcast or podcasting in general is preferred. A total of four fellows (or teams) will be accepted in this RFA, for a fellowship starting September 2021.
Method of Application
Submit your application materials by emailing them to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to provide the following materials.
- One-page personal statement
- Please describe your personal motivations for applying to the Ufahamu Africa non-resident fellowship. Of all fellowships available to you, why are you particularly interested in this one? What do you hope to accomplish during the 10 months and beyond?
- Please also comment on your ability to commit to the workload of the fellowship and how this will fit into your current commitments. If you are applying as a part of a team, describe the team dynamics and how that will facilitate content creation and contribution to the podcast.
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Podcast proposal (two pages)
- What type of podcast episodes do you imagine creating? How would you ensure a diversity of thinkers, ideas, voices, and stories? What are your ideas for disseminating to relevant networks?
- If you would like to produce simultaneous episodes in English and another language, what plans would you have to do so and/or what supports would you need to do so?
- Please include what problems or questions you are planning to address, what contributions to learning they will make, what target populations you envision, and any translation into educational products, public policy, or other outcomes that may be possible enduring outputs.
- Voice note
- Please submit an audio recording that exemplifies the kinds of content you can or want to create.
Optional: You may attach one audio file or other relevant work of public media or public-facing research.
For More Information: