How can technology shield and restore terrestrial ecosystems and freshwater supplies?
SDG 15 aims to protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems to benefit, now and in future, from this natural ecosystem-service. This Lead2030 ChallengeÂ is specifically focussed on SDG 15 targets:
- 15.1: By 2030, combat desertification, restore degraded land and soil, including land affected by desertification, drought and floods, and strive to achieve a land degradation-neutral world.
- 15.2: Promote the implementation of sustainable management of all types of forests, halt deforestation, restore degraded forests and substantially increase afforestation and reforestation.
- 15.3: By 2030, ensure the conservation, restoration and sustainable use of terrestrial and inland freshwater ecosystems and their services, in particular forests, wetlands, mountains and drylands, in line with obligations under international agreements
Novartis looks forward to supporting SDG 15 by funding a project, which utilises data/digital/novel technologies in order to generate positive action, protect, restore and sustainably use the services provided by natural land ecosystem. The project should address at least one of the following:
- Freshwater recycling capacity
- Restoring biodiversity of the ecosystem
The project should deliver quantifiable results and be a long-term sustainable solution. Ideas with an assessable proof of concept would be preferred.
Aligned: Evidently aligned with the SDG 15Â challenge. See â€˜Aboutâ€™.
Youth-led:Â Founded by a person aged 18 â€“ 30.
Focused:Â Well-structured time horizon, identified key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and proposed outcomes that are reasonable and well thought out.
Proven:Â Readily available, in or past implementation phase.
Impactful:Â Solutions must have a positive social impact, for example generating employment, or developing skills.
Measurable:Â Impacts of solutions must have been adequately measured and/or be measurable.
Financially viable:Â Must be able to achieve efficiency and to survive independently through the resources they generate and/or the investments and donations they attract.
Scalable:Â Potential to perform as well or better after expanding in scope or size and/or being transported to other regions.
The winning solution will receive:
- A US$50,000 grant from Novartis
- 12 months of mentorship from a team of Novartis professionals. The mentorship team will work to accelerate your solution based on the needs of your initiative or organisation, such as:
- Business strategy
- Best practices for data collection
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Product design
Method of Application
Please note that itâ€™s not possible to save your progress on this application form.Â Because of this, we recommend that you first readÂ through the form to get an understanding of the questions and then prepare your responses in an offline document.
In addition to answeringÂ questions about yourself and your organisation, the application form will also ask you to:
- Provide a link to aÂ video personal statement
- Upload a copy of your business/organisation plan
- Upload proof of your organisationâ€™s business/charity registration
12 November 2020:Â Applications open.
18Â December 2020:Â Applications close.
18Â February 2021:Â Winning Solution Confirmed
Application Deadline:Â 18 December, 2020