This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, creativity and initiative of the worldâ€™s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
This program is an activity within the framework of the UNESCO Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).
Goi Peace Foundation International Essay Contest Theme:
â€œA Letter from Myself in 2030â€
Imagine what an ideal world ten years from now would be like. Write a letter from yourself in 2030 to your present (2020) self, in which you describe the state of the world, the way people are living, and what you, yourself, are doing in society. In addition, include any important message that you might wish to tell your present self.
Goi Peace Foundation International Essay Contest Eligibility.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2020) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14)
- Youth (ages 15 â€“ 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German, or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, excluding essay title and cover page. Essays may be typed or printed.
- Essays must be original and unpublished. Plagiarized entries will be rejected.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer.
Goi Peace Foundation International Essay Contest Benefits.
The following awards will be given in the Childrenâ€™s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate, prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$900 as of Feb. 2020). 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony to be held in Tokyo, Japan in November 2020 and will receive the Minister of Education Award. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizer.)
- 2nd Prize: Certificate, prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$450 as of Feb. 2020) and gift
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift
- Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
Method of Application:
Entries may be submitted online or by postal mail. To send your essay online, you must go to theÂ online registration page.
If you wish to submit your entry by postal mail, send to:
International Essay Contest c/o The Goi Peace Foundation
1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093, Japan
For more information, seeÂ FAQ