The Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships is offered to support citizens of developing Commonwealth countries for one yearâ€™s study at a UK university as part of a PhD being undertaken in a candidateâ€™s home country.
Course Level:Â PhD study
Eligible Countries:Â Developing Commonwealth Countries
To be taken at (country):Â UK Universities
Eligible Field of Study:Â All subject areas are eligible, although the CSCâ€™s selection criteria give priority to applications that demonstrate the strongest relevance to development.
Offered Since:Â 1959
- The 12-month period of study in the UK can be taken at any stage during the PhD study (providing this is justified in the study plan), and can be divided into two or more periods with a period not greater than 12 months elapsing between each award term.
- A Commonwealth Split-site Scholarship covers full tuition fees for one year at the UK host university, stipend for up to one year in the UK, return airfare, and other allowances. The scholarship does not support the period of study at the home country university.
- Those candidates who have not yet commenced their home PhD at the time of application will be eligible to spend a maximum of six months in the UK in the first year of their studies.
Eligibility Criteria:Â These scholarships are for:
- Applicants who are citizens of or have been granted refugee status by an eligible Commonwealth country, or be a British Protected Person
- 12 months study at a UK university as part of an applicantâ€™s doctoral studies in their home country, starting in October 2019
- Applicants who are registered (or will be registered by September 2019) for a PhD at a university in an eligible Commonwealth country
- Study at a UK university with which your home university has an established institutional or departmental link.
- Study at a UK university which has aÂ part funding agreement with the CSC
Number of Scholarships:Â Several
Value of Scholarship:Â Each scholarship provides:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)
- Approved tuition fees
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of Â£1,084 per month, or Â£1,330 per month for those at universities in the London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2018-2019 levels)
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable
- Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas
- If you are widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of Â£465 perÂ month for the first child, and Â£114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
Duration of Scholarship:Â One year
Method of Application:Â
- You must make your application directly to the CSC using the CSCâ€™s Electronic Application System (EAS). The CSC will not accept any applications that are not submitted via the EAS.
- You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the EAS will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline.
- You must thoroughly go through all application demands on the Programme Webpage before applying.
- You are not required to apply via a nominating body for these scholarships.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 4th February 2019Â byÂ 16:00 (GMT)Â