With support from itsÂ â€œSpecial Research Fundâ€Â (BOF), Ghent University grantsÂ PhD scholarshipsÂ to promising PhD students from developing countries who wish to carry outÂ half of their PhD research at Ghent University and half in a university in a developing country.
Course Level:Â Doctoral
Eligible Countries:Â Developing Countries
To be taken at (country):Â Belgium
Eligibility Criteria:Â Before applying for a PhD scholarship at Ghent university students Always need to find a professor from Ghent University who is willing to act as the supervisor (â€˜promoterâ€™) ofÂ their doctoralÂ research and who agrees to support their application.Â The best way to do this is by browsing the list of faculties and research topics available on the research directory
- The proposals must beÂ jointlyÂ submitted by a candidate, a promoter at Ghent University and a supervisor at the partner university.
- No restrictions are imposed on the field of research, neverthelessÂ preference will be given to topics that areÂ relevant for development
- Candidates need toÂ come fromÂ â€“ and have theÂ nationalityÂ of â€“ a developing country (seeÂ country list);
- There must be aÂ guaranteeÂ that the candidate will be able to workÂ fulltime on the PhD projectÂ for a period ofÂ 24 monthsÂ at theÂ partner universityÂ in a selected developing country (South). This implies that the following conditions needs to be fulfilled:
- there must be aÂ local PhD supervisor at the partner universityÂ or research center in the South;
- AÂ writtenÂ statementÂ is requested stating that the candidate is either aÂ funded fulltime PhD student or a staff memberÂ at this partner university
- and will beÂ sufficiently exemptedÂ from teaching or other assignments as to be able to fully concentrate on theÂ PhD research in the South.
- This statement should also mention that the candidateÂ receives a local PhD scholarship or salaryÂ for a period ofÂ 24 monthsÂ when working on the PhD at the partner university in the South.
- This cofunding is only intended for students whoÂ want to obtainÂ a (joint ) PhD degree at Ghent University .
Number of Awardees:Â Not specified
Value of Scholarship:
- The value of the scholarship at Ghent University depends on, a.o., the researcherâ€™s family situation.
- The Ghent University promoter also receives a bench fee to cover (part of) the operational costs, as well as the travelling costs of the student and both the Ghent University and the local promoter.
Duration of Scholarship:Â
- The candidate obtains a scholarship for maximum 24 months
- Students are obliged to divide the scholarship into minimum 2 different research stays in Ghent (North) and need to return at least once to their home university (South)Â in between (=â€˜sandwich- scheduleâ€™)
- The candidate must propose at least 12 months of locally funded research stay in the South after the first BOF funded stay in Ghent (North).
- Due to all practical arrangements (visa, housing, contract, â€¦) students are advised to stay for long periods in Ghent (e.g. 1 year).
- This scholarship call does not intend to support students who plan only 1 research stay in Ghent.
Method of Application:Â
- Applications must be submitted on the application forms provided for this purpose.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 4th March 2019