The Department of Earth and Planetary Science, Graduate School of Science, the University of Tokyo is inviting applications for the faculty position in the field of solid earth science (tectonics based on a material science approach).
Course Level:Â This is a faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor.
Eligibility Criteria:Â Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Ph D or equivalent in a relevant field
- Ability to conduct research and education at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the field of tectonics with an expertise in activities such as field work, laboratory experiments etc.
- Sufficient Japanese ability for instruction at the undergraduate and graduate levels (where this is not possible at the time of appointment, this level of language proficiency is expected within five years)
Method of Application:Â All documents should be submitted as email attachments in pdf format. The documents can be separated into several separate emails but the total size of each individual mail should not exceed 10 MB. Applications should be sent to and the subject should beÂ Assistant Professor in Solid Earth Science. An acknowledgement will be sent within 2 working days of receipt of the application documents.
Application materials required
- Curriculum vitae (this should include age, email address and other contact details, and summary of academic and professional career from high school including the date of university graduation).
- A summary of the main educational and research activities of the applicant (about 1000 words).
- List of publications and related scientific output, which should be divided into the following 4 types.
- Refereed papers and review articles (where available include the number of citations for each paper and the name of the database used)
- Non-refereed papers and review articles
- Other relevant material
- Copies of up to 5 significant publications
- Outline of aspirations and plans for research and education after taking office (about 1000 words)
- Names and contact information for 2 referees who can provide an independent assessment of the candidate.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â October 19, 2018