The National Research Foundation (NRF)Â is inviting applications for master and doctoral scholarships for full-time studies in 2019. This scholarship is available to SA citizens, SA permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of foreign nationals who will register at a South African public university in 2019 on a full-time basis.
Course Level:Â Scholarships are available to pursue Master and Doctoral degree programe.
Eligible Countries:Â This scholarship is available to SA citizens, SA permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of foreign nationals who will register at a South African public university in 2019 on a full-time basis.
Eligibility Criteria:Â Applicants must meet the following criteria:
|NRF-TWAS Doctoral||Extension Support||Masterâ€™s and Doctoral|
|Must register at a South African public university in 2019 on a full-time basis.May be based at Science Councils and National Research Facilities.||Full-time masterâ€™s or doctoral studies in South Africa are eligible to apply.||SA citizens, SA permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of foreign nationals who will register at a South African public university in 2019 on a full-time basis.|
|Citizens and permanent residents from developing countries in and outside Africa. South Africans are not eligible to apply.||Applicants applying for extension support at masterâ€™s level should have commenced their degree in 2017.||NRF masterâ€™s scholarship-holders who wish to register for Doctoral degrees in 2019 must apply for funding.|
|Visa and immigration laws of the applicantâ€™s home country and South Africa must be met by the applicant. The applicant must secure his / her own Visa or study permit under the programme for study in South Africa.Neither NRF nor TWAS will be responsible for assisting with visa requirements.||Must be current recipients of NRF scholarships for the current degree in 2018. Extensions will only be provided under exceptional circumstances and will only be granted for six (6) or twelve (12) months as the NRF expects all students to complete their qualifications within regulation time.||SASAC doctoral scholarships, details of the proposed research must demonstrate clear alignment with IIASAâ€™s research programmes and national research priority areas (Advanced Systems Analysis; Ecosystems Services and Management; Energy; Evolution and Ecology; Air Quality and Greenhouse Gases; Risk and Resilience; Transitions to New Technologies; World Population and Water.)|
|Must be thirty five (35) years or younger on the 31st of December of the year of application for the doctoral scholarship.||Applicants applying for extension support at doctoral level should have commenced their degrees in 2016.|
|May not be living, studying or working in South Africa at the time of application.|
Â Students who are not eligible for support
- Students who already hold NRF funding for masterâ€™s (in 1st year of funding) or doctoral studies (in 1st or 2nd year of funding) must not apply, they should submit a Progress Report (PR) to renew funding for the following year as per the Conditions of Grant.
- Individuals that already hold a degree at the level at which they intend studying, are not eligible to apply
- Students who are intending to register for or that are studying for a 100% masterâ€™s by coursework, professional masterâ€™s or doctoral degree.
- Students pursuing masterâ€™s studies who commenced their degree before 2018.
- Students pursuing doctoral studies who commenced their degree before 2017.
- Individuals that will be in full-time salaried, contractual or permanent employment while pursuing masterâ€™s or doctoral studies.
- Individuals that are on sabbatical leave from their employment (including those without paid sabbatical leave).
English Language Requirements:Â Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply:Â All applications are submitted on the NRF Online system.
Late and incomplete applications will be rejected.