The Africa Centre of Excellence for Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine (PHARMBIOTRAC) is happy to announce Scholarships to study MSc (by Coursework and Dissertation) and PhD (by Research) in Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine Programmes. International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship program.
PHARMBIOTRAC will provide financial support to selected highly motivated, research-focused and qualified candidates to pursue their MSc and PhD Study Programmes aimed at achieving the goal of the center.
Course Level:Â Scholarship is available to pursue MSc and PhD programme.
Eligibility Criteria:Â The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Applications are now invited from highly motivated, research focused and qualified candidates for the admission to the following programs at Mbarara University of Science and Technology commencing August 2017.
- MSc in Pharmacology (by Coursework and Dissertation, Duration 2 Years Full time) Entry Requirements: A honors Bachelors degree in Medicine and Surgery or its equivalent from a recognized University or A honors Bachelors degree in Health Sciences or Biological Sciences e.g. Human Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Bachelor of Science.
- A honours Bachelors degree in Medicine and Surgery or its equivalent from a recognized University or A honours Bachelors degree in Health Sciences or Biological Sciences e.g. Human Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Bachelor of Science.
- PhD (by Research, Duration 3 Years) in the field of Pharm-Biotechnology and Traditional Medicine with the following thematic areas of focus: Understanding Traditional Medicine Philosophy of Health and Disease Prevention and Control
This PhD program is designed to harness traditional medicine knowledge from the practitioners in communities for possible scientific interpretation, documentation, validation, standardization, and development into the curriculum for training in traditional medicine at undergraduate and master level. The research will focus on practitionersâ€™ understanding of health and disease, their diagnosis of disease, treatment, and prevention of disease as well as materials used and their preparation methods and precautions.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science or M. Med (or equivalent) degree in a field related to Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Clinical Pharmacy, Public Health, and Epidemiology.
- Traditional/Herbal Medicine Quality and Safety Standards: This PhD program is designed to investigate the safety of traditional/ herbal medicines and set attainable and acceptable standards for traditional/herbal medicine products produced on a commercial scale. It will identify harmful or toxic substances and set limits on the use. It is designed to guide and inform the regulation of herbal products in the region.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science or equivalent degree in the field related to Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Technology, Microbiology or Pathology.
- Herbal Medicine Production/Manufacturing and Quality Control Standards: This PhD program is designed to evaluate various herbal medicine production systems aimed at designing an appropriate technology and systems for production of high quality and safe traditional/herbal medicine products in the region. The program will also evaluate and develop appropriate quality control tests and standards for traditional/herbal medicines in the region. This will be done in collaboration with pharmaceutical/herbal medicine industries and drug regulatory bodies in the region.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science or equivalent degree in the field related to Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Science, Industrial Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacognosy, or chemistry.
- Traditional/Herbal Medicine Knowledge and Material Conservation and Propagation- in-situ, ex situ: This PhD programme is designed to harness traditional/herbal medicine material (plant, animal, etc), their conservation and propagation knowledge from the communities in the region and to design the most appropriate scientific methods for their conservation, domestication, and propagation in the region. The conservation will include ex-situ in living gene banks, protected areas, and in-situ as cells, tissues, seeds or organs.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science (or equivalent) degree in the field related to Pharmacognosy, Ethnobotany, Agronomy, Horticulture, Agroforestry, Biotechnology, Forestry, Applied Botany or Biology.
- Traditional/Herbal Medicine/ Clinical Validation Protocols and Standards This PhD program is designed to evaluate and compare the various methods of clinical drug evaluation and aimed at designing the most feasible and robust protocols and standards for clinical studies and validation of traditional/herbal medicines in the region.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science or M. Med (or equivalent) degree in a field related to Internal Medicine, Clinical Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science/Technology, Public Health or Epidemiology.
- Pharmaco-Biotechnology-Application of Biotechnology to Drug Discovery, and Drug Production: This PhD programme is designed to apply the principles of systems biology and metabolomics to identify drug molecules and drug targets particularly macromolecules for development and production of modern drugs, particularly Biopharmaceuticals and Bioproducts to tackle various disease burdens in the region especially Tumours, Cancers, HIV, Tuberculosis, Malaria, Diabetes, etc.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Master of Science or M. Med (or equivalent) degree in the field related to Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Science, Biological Sciences, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology or Molecular Biology.
- Pharmaceutical Business Management/Regulation: This PhD program is designed to evaluate the pharmaceutical business industry, value chain from active pharmaceutical ingredients production, to pharmaceutical product production, registration/regulation, Marketing, and distribution. The program will evaluate the challenges faced and the regionâ€™s comparative advantage aimed at designing strategies for the establishment of industries for production and sale of high quality pharmaceutical active ingredients and pharmaceuticals/ herbal medicines in the region.
Admission Requirements:Â Applicants must have Bachelorâ€™s degree in a field related to Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Industrial Chemistry, Regulatory sciences with Masters of Businesses Degree (bias to pharmaceuticals).
Method of Application:Â Applications can be submitted to the following addresses up to August 11, 2017, for the first closing 23.59 PM East African Time intake. Applicants must send scanned (soft copies) of the below-listed documents, merged into one PDF document (i.e. not in separate files as separate documents). However, PhD research concept notes, abstracts of copies of masterâ€™s dissertation/thesis (or equivalent), and publications if any should be sent in a PDF format as separate documents.
- Completed application form which can be downloaded from the University website,
- A cover letter indicating which program of study the application is being made and description of the motivation to join the program, and interest in scholarship.
- A curriculum vitae (CV),
- Certified copies Masterâ€™s and Bachelorâ€™s degrees and transcripts (for PhD and MSc respectively),
- Recommendation letters from at least two academic referees who are knowledgeable about the applicantâ€™s behaviours and ability,
- Copies of valid National Identification Card or passport Ugandan national,
- Copies of Passport for non-Ugandans, Applicants from countries where English is not the medium of instruction must provide an English proficiency certificate from a relevant body or institution in their respective countries,
- Research Concept Note relevant to the PhD theme sought,
- Abstract of copies of masterâ€™s dissertation/thesis (or equivalent) Publications (if any).
- A scanned copy of the application fee payslip Support letter from employer (if any),
- Sponsorship letter from an organization providing funding (if any).
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â Scholarship application deadline is August 11, 2017.
For more details visit theÂ official site.