OSISA is an African institution committed to the creation of open societies through support for democracy, human rights and good governance and it works in Angola, Botswana, the DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Offered Annually?Â Yes
Eligible Countries:Â Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To be taken at (country):Â Rhodes University,Â South Africa
Course Level:Â Postgraduate
- Applicants should be women who are already practising journalists or are working in various fields of the media industry in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Successful applicants will register for the SPIâ€™s intensive, one-year-long fulltime Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PGDip in Media Management), the only formal qualification in media management in Africa and the developing world. The PGDip in Media Management is pegged at the honours degree level.
- Candidates must already possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised university in order to pursue postgraduate study.
Number of Awards:Â Not specified
Value of Program:Â The OSISA scholarships cover:
- The full cost of tuition
- Accommodation and meals in one of Rhodes Universityâ€™s residences
- Course materials
- A monthly subsistence allowance
- Medical aid cover
- Mid-year media management internship costs.
Method of Application:Â Only women candidates who are already working in the media industry in the 10 Southern African countries of OSISA listed above are eligible to apply for these scholarships. Candidates should already have an undergraduate degree in any discipline from a recognised university.
- Complete the Rhodes Universityâ€™s standard External Honours Application form (available at Â http://www.ru.ac.za/postgraduategateway/honours/honoursapplication/, whichÂ mustÂ be submitted directly to the Registrarâ€™s Division at Rhodes University and a copy emailed to Wendy Dyibishe (email@example.com) at the Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership. They must also complete the application form for the Postgraduate Diploma in Media Management (PDMM), which is also available onÂ http://www.ru.ac.za/postgraduategateway/honours/honoursapplication/Â and send it to the Registrarâ€™s Division and the SPI.
- Submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae, including email and phone contact details. This is sent to the SPI only.
- Submit certified academic transcripts of ALL tertiary qualifications (these are sent to both the SPI and Registrarâ€™s Division at Rhodes University); and
- Submit to the SPI (through Wendy Dyibishe atÂ firstname.lastname@example.org) a 1,000-word letter of motivation, which explains why the student is interested in doing the PDMM, how the PDMM will assist the studentâ€™s career and why the student believes she/he qualifies for the OSISA scholarship.
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 24th November, 2017
AwardÂ Provider:Â Sol Plaatje Institute (SPI) for Media Leadership, Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA)