Microsoft Research Scholarship for Scholars in EMEA 2018
Each year, PhD supervisors from academic institutions in EMEA are invited to submit their proposals for collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge. Applications are then peer reviewed and up to 16 projects will be selected for funding. PhD students are appointed to the selected projects and begin their research in the following academic year under the supervision of their academic supervisor, with co-supervision from a researcher at Microsoft Research Cambridge.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Microsoft scholarships consist of an annual bursary up to a maximum of three years for PhD supervisors and students to do collaborative research projects with Microsoft Research Cambridge.
Offered Annually?Â Yes
Eligible Countries:Â Countries inÂ Europe Africa Middle East
Type:Â PhD, Research
Applications must not be made by students but by PhD supervisors, who must have been in dialogue with the prospective Microsoft supervisor and jointly collaborated on the proposal prior to the submission deadline. If their project is selected, the supervisor has until 31 March 2019 to find the best possible student for the project; otherwise, the PhD Agreement will be terminated automatically. Only applications from institutions in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa will be considered.
For an application to be considered, the following key requirements apply:
- The institute agrees to the terms and conditions in theÂ PhD Term SheetÂ andÂ EPSRC Term SheetÂ where appropriate .
- The applicant must be in dialogue with the prospective Microsoft supervisor prior to the submission deadline and jointly drafting the proposal.
- The proposed research must be closely related to our research ambitionsÂ at Microsoft Research in Cambridge:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Infrastructure for the Cloud
- The Future of Work
- Biological Computation
This year, Microsoft is particularly interested in proposals related to:
- Machine Learning for Healthcare
- Optics in the Cloud (networking, storage and compute)
- ConfidentialÂ Computation
- Designing AI for Human Partnership
Number of Awards:Â Not specified
Value of Award:Â The monetary value of the award varies by country to reflect local differences in costs and overheads. Payment is made directly to the institution. The amount of the scholarship is the maximum amount Microsoft Research pays to the institution. In addition, every Scholar receives a fixed hardware allowance and conference allowance.
Duration of Program:Â Maximum of 3 years
- Notification of results:Â Stage 1 ~ By the end of October 2017
Stage 2 ~ By the end of January 2018
- PhD Agreements sent to Institutes by: 16th FebruaryÂ 2018
- Signed PhD Agreements returned to MSR viaÂ DocusignÂ by:Â 30th June 2018
- PhD students to be appointed by:Â 31st March 2019
Method of Application:Â
Please submit your application via thisÂ link
Visit the Program Webpage for Details
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â 12th October 2017
Award Providers:Â Microsoft
Important Notes:Â Microsoft actively seeks to foster greater levels of diversity in our workforce and in our pipeline of future researchers. We are always looking for the best and brightest talent and pride ourselves on our individuality.