The Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers is set up by the Education Bureau (EDB), the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) as one of a series of measures to enhance the professionalism of English teachers in Hong Kong.
The Government of Hong Kong is offering Scholarships for Prospective English Teachers for the academic year 2017-2018.Â Each local student will be awarded HK$50,000 per year and each non-local student, HK$80,000 per year.
The aim of the Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers is to attract persons proficient in English to pursue relevant local bachelor degree programmes and/or teacher training programmes, which will qualify them to become English teachers upon graduation.
Course Level:Â Applicants should pursue one of the following programmes in a higher education institution in Hong Kong:
- A full-time Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree programme in English Language; or
- A full-time Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education (BA & BEd) double degree programme in English Language; or
- A full-time Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree programme in English or a relevant subject (such as Linguistics, with English as the main language of study) followed immediately by a full-time/part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programme majoring in English.
Study Subject:Â Scholarships are awarded in the field of teaching.
Scholarship Award:Â Each local student will be awarded HK$50,000 per year and each non-local student, HK$80,000 per year.
Numbers of Scholarships:Â Not known
Scholarship can be taken inÂ Hong Kong
Both local and non-local students may apply for the Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers (2017/18) (â€œthe Scholarshipâ€). Application is open to secondary school graduates who
- Have attained Level 5 or above in English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination, or equivalent; and
- Will start pursuing year one study in relevant degree programmes in local higher education institutions in the 2017/18 school year.
Nationality:Â Both local and non-local students are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have attained Level 5 or above in English Language in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination, or equivalent.
Method of Application:
The completed form, together with all supporting documents, should be submitted by post or in person.
- Completed and signed the application form.
- Attached a copy of your Hong Kong Identity (HKID) Card or Passport / Travel Document. ?
- Attached a copy (copies) of public examination(s) result slip(s) / certificate(s). ?
- Attached a copy (copies) of the IELTS Test Report Form(s) / TOEFL Score Report(s) (if applicable).
- Attached a copy (copies) of graduation certificate(s) issued by the secondary school(s) you attended.
- Attached a copy (copies) of transcripts/testimonial(s) issued by the higher education institution attended (as appropriate).
- Attached a copy of offer letter / supporting document to prove that you have been admitted by the higher education institution.
- Made arrangements for the Recommendation Form to be completed and returned to the Education Bureau by the deadline.
- Attached separate sheets (if applicable).
Scholarship Application Deadline:Â August, 7 to August 17, 2017.
For more info, visitÂ Scholarship Link